Adding chicken to a pork sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
I’ll try to be as clear as I can be here so everyone understands what I am talking about. Lately I have been replacing about 25% of my standard pork sausages with ground, skin on chicken thighs, I am really liking the results of this method. But today I got to thinking about the binding abilities of the ground chicken. By that I mean, if you fine grind pork with fat it can bind a sausage that has fairly large chunks of meat in it. Will the chicken thighs work this way as well? I am working on a modified version of a Len Poli recipe that has 1 inch cubes of pork, med ground pork, fine ground pork and emulsified pork in it. Where would the chicken do the most good? Maybe I’m just overthinking this, anyone have any comments or ideas?

Cal

Cant specificly help with the recipe but if you have ever used ground chicken on its own, its very sticky. I have to oil my hands a couple times when making chicken burgers. Doubt that is helpful much, but figured Id add that for ya.

Kevin
Thanks for the input, actually I have never used just plain ground chicken for anything. I was hoping someone would have some technical information on what is or isn’t in chicken meat to help it bind in a sausage. I guess not, but
thanks again for your input.

Cal

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Hi chop
I have been using this method for a couple of week now and it seems to work very well. Here is a jalapeño, cheddar
salami I made yesterday which is excellent.
D755C3EC-AA79-417F-9988-9F1E65220A15.jpeg

The Poli recipe is here

I guess what my question really is, would the chicken work best as a binder ground med, or emulsified.
I think I’m going to use it as the emulsified part.

Cal

So that's chicken and pork mixed ?
I figured it was that one or the Krakow .
I did Krakow awhile back . I think I used Marianski recipe , all about the same .
It called for chunks and 2 grinds one emulsified . I just did chunks and a fine grind , came out pretty good .
20191213_080312.jpg
You know , if you grind the chicken with the skin , add the salt and cure then mix . I'd call it good enough . The cured meat cubes are pretty sticky too .
This is 100 % chicken thighs with skin . One grind thru 1/4 " plate . mixed stuffed and smoke .
Has milk powder and cure 1 in it . I don't see a reason it wouldn't work .

20181210_092902.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky