adding charcoal to fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My drums burn like the minion method so I have never added coals to them. But my RF gets coals added after they are lit and start to ash. A little bit of coals and a little bit of log wood, which ever works at the moment.

Yeah... if you can at least get the new stuff heated... not necisarrily fully lit, but almost fully lit works well. Main thing you want to do is avoid having all the "start up" smoke from the charcoal going into your meat.... makes for unplesant flavor.

hmmm wouldn't that mean that using the minion method is not a good idea as well? Since it'll have the "start up" smoke from the charcoal 

I add charcoal or splits to my small offset all the time.  If you are using a quality lump charcoal all the bad stuff has already been burned off.  Well cured splits do not have enough moisture to cause a problem with sooty smoke.  The most important thing in my opinion is not getting a temp spike when you add fuel.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky