Acrid, bitter taste results.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Exactly!
I haven't put water in an MES water pan in over 8 years.
I often have condensation running down my glass window in the MES door.
Why add to that, right.
Just cover the water pan with foil, and change the foil when it gets too ugly for you to look at, but keep it in place.

Bear
Awesome, thanks for that tip...I guess I spent too much time in the propane section where everyone says add water. I bought a propane and this electric on CL cheap so kind of playing with both. One will stay home and the other will end up in a PA house we are building.

Just a quick follow up, I drilled out a 5/8" hole in the bottom and drilled out the tiny vent to 5/8" on the top. Replaced the water and chip tray on the bottom with a deep foil pan filled with sand and put a shallow tray on top of the sand. I then drilled some vent holes in the side of the shallow tray and some holes in the lid of the tray. The Amzn pellet tray went in there and this set up worked awesome for ribs, best smoke to date. It held temp real steady and came back up to temp quick when the door was opened.

That's Great to hear!!
Keep up the Good Work!!

Bear
Thanks for your help, you were right about not needing a water tray, the ribs were very moist. 3 hour smoke, 1 hour foil seared off on the grill to caramelize the bbq sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky