About to buy a Camp Chef Vault 18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blodzoo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Seattle
I wasn't really planning on buying a smoker today but I've almost bought them in the past and I just happened to see one of these Vault 18"s on clearance, checked online, it's a great deal, but I have a concern.

I've been looking around online and I've seen some places that said that the turkey cannon doesn't fit and other places say that it does.  Can anyone verify that it does?  I really want to be able to smoke a turkey in this thing.

If anyone can verify that I'll be able to smoke a fantastic turkey in this thing, I'm going to run and grab it right now because I think they've only got one in the store.

I have the CC #24 and love it.  Mine...did 2 turkeys this past Thanksgiving.  I just placed my on the racks...no cannon needed.

Kat

Last edited:
Perhaps a better question would have been "Do you need a turkey cannon?"

I think I'll go for it.  The 24" is an extra $100 and I'd have to order it.  I can go pick up the 18" for $179 right now.

I've seen a ton of turkeys smoked without a cannon and they all look Awesome, I've even done a couple myself that came out really good!

I went ahead and bought the 18".  I'm assembling it right now.  I'm pretty happy with the the quality so far.  It's obviously not a $600 smoker, I would expect more precision, but everything is going together smoothly and mine doesn't wobble like the display model in the store.

Also, s2k9k, it appears that we share another interest.  I had to sell my AP1 when my daughter was born (bought a jetta sportwagen TDI, great car, but just not the same).  I hope to buy another someday.

If anyone wants to suggest any simple crowd-pleasing recipes for a first-timer, I'm all ears. 

Yea I had an AP1 Berlina Black but sold it for various reasons and bought a Scion tC1 Release Series 6.0 and it's a fun car but yea not the same, hope to get another someday too!

I had to google what the release 6.0 meant.  Cool looking car.  AfterI get a bunch of other stuff sorted, I'd like to look for a low-mileage ap2.

I am currently seasoning my smoker.  I think the thermometer might be off, I'm having a friend bring another one so that we can compare. 

I was unprepared for the amount of smoke.  I had all the windows open, house smells strongly of smoke now.  At 225 degrees, the chips burned up pretty fast.  At 175, it seems like a much nicer slow smoke.

First test with actual meat will be tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky