About Balance-Some Spices,Herbs, Just Don't Work Together

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My turkey came out great other than my truss job was pityfull.  LOL.  Another ? for another day!  LOL 

Compound Butter I came up with.  Was simple profile and worked very well.  Wife said if you make my traditional oven roasted turkey taste weird you are in trouble.  She was pleased and that is what counts since I wear the pants in the family only when she allows it.  LOL

2 sticks unsalted real butter

2 tablespoon sea salt

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

1 tablespoon cracked black pepper

1 tablespoon sage

1 tablespoon parsley flakes

1 teaspoon cheyenne pepper

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon celery seed

I went a step further on the compound butter. I browned the butter first then added ground Rosemary and let it release into the butter and then turned off the heat and allowed to cool down,right before it solidified again i stirred it up and put it in a small Tupperware with the o-ring top. To the frig it goes. It makes the best grilled ham and cheese or any sandwich. Also goes very well on a steak after cooking. Just about a tablespoon. You could also add some garlic power or roast some garlic to make some garlic bread with it.

Last edited:
Another critical Balancing Act is Recipe Conversion...While it is no big deal to take Mom's recipe for 1 Gallon of Chicken soup and convert it to a 20 gallon batch for a big Gig...Volume measurement of Salt, Herbs and Spices DO NOT convert by simple Multiplication like Pounds of Carrots...What starts out as 1Tbs Salt in 1Gal is way too much at 1 and 1/4 Cups in 20 Gallon...Volume of salt compacts under it's own weight as the volume goes up!...Do the conversion, then start with HALF the amount when you make the New Recipe...You can always add more!...Same thing happens with Ground Spices...1tsp of Ground Glove in 1pound of Butt Rub will over power the mix in 50 Pounds of Rub for a Big Competition Cook...The fix is to convert all your recipes to Weight with a good Scale...Pound for Pound your Ingredient Proportions stay the same...JJ
I wish I would have found this a few months ago!! I had to upsize a rub mix and when I did it did not turn out good at all. Of course I was going by measurement and not weight. Now that I think about it that makes perfect sense to use weight. Thanks for this eye opening information.

Chet

Chef JimmyJ, I agree with the conversion to weights. First, it allows quick balance of foods that are not regular: a typical fresh salsa is 3:1 tomatoes to onion. Tomatoes from the garden don't come in handy sizes and it's to frik'n' slow and wasteful to prep them and not use it all. Prep, weigh tomatoes, tare the scale, toss in the right amount of onion and continue with the rest by eye and taste. Done and balanced.

What is 5 cloves of garlic to someone in California vs.Minnesota in January? I bet quite a bit by weight. Bad example for me though because I know how far garlic goes and know my guests preferences. However, if recipes came with weights it would be much easier for me to apply some art.

I definitely weigh and take notes for delicate balanced combinations,such as a sauce that I want to carry multiple flavors evenly.

Food size is a huge difference: what's a coarse chop to you vs me and what is our preference? Doesn't matter if we talk weight not cups.

But, when making large batches of something like a rub, I weight everything. That way I can make a note and adjust easily the next time. It's also frik'n fast!

Measuring and taking notes is the first place I start when changing cuisines to something new. That and an authentic book of the regions food and recipes.

Cheers.

Scoobs

Balance is essential even if one thing is supposed to stand out it needs support. volume, temperature, moisture, fat and cooking time all impact ingredients differently. That's why a good chili is at least two days in the making.

To me an essential flavor is a supporting one that hides in the background. If there's cream in a dish I have to ask why not add nutmeg. Very potent so very little is needed but it is a great supporting flavor that makes people think. Powdered ginger is one of those for BBQ.

My cookbook is "The Flavor Bible". No recipes. It helps me make a recipe. It's not for basic cooks. I recommend it for anyone looking to explore flavors, make new dishes and transform an old dish. Also, it allows for meal design; complementary flavors across the offerings.

Cheers!

Scoobs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky