A (troubling) tale of two loins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Well … actually three. All were cured in Pop’s brine with some aromatics. The two on the right shared a ziplock bag and were done for/as Canadian bacon. The one on the left shared a ziplock with a chuck roast and cured for/as corned beef or porkstrami.

It appears the center loin didn’t cure properly … possibly insufficient time but more likely somehow did not stay submerged the whole time. A few slices of the one on right exhibit bits of that too, but most look consistently ok throughout.
These have all been smoked/cooked.

The question is if the center one particularly is safe to consume? And if no, I presume not safe for the girls (labs) either(?)
F4A68DBB-28F3-4AA8-BA6C-CDBF750C273B.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
That’s exactly what I’m looking at. Was afraid an indicator of incomplete curing. Just has never looked like that before (maybe a half-dozen previous loins>CanBac.
Thanks!!

Reactions: chopsaw
That's all in a whole loin , just different sections along the length , and like I mentioned the best part in my opinion .

As far as doing the beef and pork in the same bag ,,, I don't do it , and I remember Pop's used to say not to . Just gonna mention it . What ever works for ya , and enjoy the loins .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Just for some info , here's one that wasn't cured , but smoked to 140 .
Just an example of what it looks like .
1679344106081.jpeg

Reactions: crazymoon
As an FYI
If you do get a incomplete cure and smoke / pasteurize the meat to a safe temperature and time, it is all edible. It just looks off and the uncured meat does taste different from what you desired.
I've had that happen a couple of cures, so I cut the slab in half and canoe out the uncured meat.

I am not seeing any uncured meat ......... all I see are shades of pink to red, which isn't out of the ordinary.

Well … actually three. All were cured in Pop’s brine with some aromatics. The two on the right shared a ziplock bag and were done for/as Canadian bacon. The one on the left shared a ziplock with a chuck roast and cured for/as corned beef or porkstrami.

It appears the center loin didn’t cure properly … possibly insufficient time but more likely somehow did not stay submerged the whole time. A few slices of the one on right exhibit bits of that too, but most look consistently ok throughout.

The question is if the center one particularly is safe to consume? And if no, I presume not safe for the girls (labs) either(?)View attachment 660772
I'm curious, is that floor I see there a cumaru floor? It looks fantastic.

The question is if the center one particularly is safe to consume? And if no, I presume not safe for the girls (labs) either(?)View attachment 660772
Is that a cumaru floor?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky