A-maze-n MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

YoYo-

Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
For those of you that use an amazen in the mes, do you guys do any mods? I made the mailbox but I want to put the tray in the smoker chamber for a NY strip smoke tomorrow. Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered somewhere else.

The mailbox is likely the foremost mod for the MES and most times the only mod. If you have the mailbox mod, why would you want to put the tray in the MES itself ?
I built my mod because I had trouble learning to keep the tray lit. Everytime I opened the door to tend the tray, it cost me time on my cook. 3-4 hours to do a simple chicken convinced me to build the mod and side-step the learning curve.

I put my tray inside the MES. No issues. Get the tray going good and your set.

I haven't even considered modding it; I put the Amazen tray in after getting it going, open the vent all the way and keep the wood feeder tube out. So if you just want to pop the amazen tray in, get it going good, open the top vent all the way, pull the wood feeder tube out entirely, and make sure the water pan is above the pellet tray so grease doesn't drip directly into it. I read that here and it took me all of one incident within a half hour of using it to remember the water pan to block the grease bit lol.

If you have trouble keeping temp up with chip tray out cut back the exhaust damper a little to slow the air flow down and retain more heat/ smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky