A Great Morning for Bologna!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheBBQChef

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2021
Branson, MO
Had a little bit of time and my wife has been itching for some smoked Bologna for sandwiches, to eat in chunks, etc. We really like it with English mustard - as the kick really adds to the meaty and smokey flavors.

This was is seasoned with my Texas pork seasoning that I use for ribs, chicken, turkey, and pulled pork. Kosher salt, course black pepper, and smoked hot paprika. Flavored with post oak and ran at 225 F for 3.5 hours. Can't wait to slice into it!

20210224_114600.jpg

Do you guys that do this have a preferred brand that you look for? I keep wanting to try this but haven't really seen or noticed much for the big hunks like that up here, is there a quality difference? I like bologna but for some of my family the thought of it isn't as appealing.

I use Wunderbar brand (German word for "wonderful"), and it's really good. Way better than anything you would buy out of the package on the shelf. I just go up to the deli counter and tell them I want a whole log, which is usually about 5 lbs.

Smoked bologna is great and yours looks about perfect!

Smoked bologna was only available at my house and one BBQ/smoked meat joint here in central Missouri...the BBQ joint closed a couple of years back - what a sad day. Now it is only at my house.

I actually like slicing it to twice sandwich thickness, smoking it and splitting it in two so when it is done one side is smoked plus the edges.

Reactions: TheBBQChef
Ahhh, smoked bologna. I make it a few times a year and it's a real hit. I've even smoked and cubed it with a glaze. Some BBQ joints call it Oklahoma Prime Rib, or Redneck Round Steak but whatever the name if you like bologna it's hard to turn down and people that don't usually eat bologna like it.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
When I have the room I like to slice a 5lbs log up in thick 3/8" or so and smoke the slices, way more flavor imo. If I have the room
I do something similar if I'm cutting most of a log into chunks. This was mostly for slices, so I didn't go that route this time.

I just ate, but I'll force myself to go with a 1/2" - 1" slice, pan fried, dressed in a little creamy Hunter Sauce (Jägersoße) or Spicy Paprika (Gypsy) Sauce (ZigeunerSoße) or with a fired egg on top sitting on a bed of home fries/hash browns. 🍻
I had to look both of those up. The paprika sauce looks tasty. For the Hunters do you do a white or red sauce?

Jägersoße is usually white in my experiences. A fairly common dish it is used with is Jägerschnitzel. Though my all-time favorite German food is Maultaschen... but I digress.

Reactions: jcam222
Love some smoked bologna. If your meat dept doesnt have a chub I will get it out of the deli.
Jim

I had to look both of those up. The paprika sauce looks tasty. For the Hunters do you do a white or red sauce?
I like both the white and red/brown Jägersoße and a "spicy hot" Gypsy. I use both a smoked and hot paprika when I make it. . Mrs. Wurst prefers the white and Gypsy sauce , she says it's not as heavy tasting as the brown. But of course they both are cream based as well. For me it's basically what I have on hand in the pantry. If you want some German recipes, including sausage, let me know. Mrs Wurst and I'll gladly compile them and send/post them. 🍻

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Jägersoße is usually white in my experiences. A fairly common dish it is used with is Jägerschnitzel. Though my all-time favorite German food is Maultaschen... but I digress.
A good schnitzel is beyond it's worth in gold! It's also good over chicken, Swedish meatballs, Spätzle, etc. Makes a great pizza white sauce instead of tomato sauce piling on sausage, brisket, chicken, veggies, cheese, and of course more sauce drizzled over the top. When you make your Maultaschen, thy Blaukraut or Rotsalat instead of sauerkraut. The spiciness and the apple sweetness adds an unexpected layer of flavor especially when you use a homemade sausage like Kielbasa. 🍻

I like both the white and red/brown Jägersoße and a "spicy hot" Gypsy. I use both a smoked and hot paprika when I make it. . Mrs. Wurst prefers the white and Gypsy sauce , she says it's not as heavy tasting as the brown. But of course they both are cream based as well. For me it's basically what I have on hand in the pantry. If you want some German recipes, including sausage, let me know. Mrs Wurst and I'll gladly compile them and send/post them. 🍻
I’m sure plenty of folks would appreciate those sauce recipes. Can you post them in the sauce forum?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky