A good brine mixture and mop for chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is a great overview. I have been thinking of smoking some chicken for the first time and might try this. So quick question. A whole chicken or half chicken you brine for 10hours. Then chicken parts you only go 1-2 hours? Does it matter how many pounds of parts you have or not really? Just trying to find a starting point. Thanks again for a great outline.

Yes, I would go overnight (10 hours) for a whole of half chicken. With parts (thighs, legs, wings, etc.) I would go 1.5 hours regardless of how many you have, and with breasts I would go 1 hour. I've used it on breasts, and it was awesome!

This brine works *EXTREMELY* well, and makes for some tender and juicy chicken. Tip's looks great, too, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I am smoking some whole chickens as I am typing this. I hope they come out good.

I brined the last poultry I made (some cornish hens) and it came out pretty good. This time I just injected the whole chickens (two 4.25# birds) with Vernors, then oiled them with a little EVOO and rubbed them with Jeff's Rub, followed by a spritzing of Vernors every hour. I am also smoking a fatty on the rack above the birds so the dripping goodness kisses the birds on the way down. (QView waiting for the new format)

I am using Hickory and it is smelling real good. Damn... I need a snack now.

Thanks. I will be trying it out here some time. My little one loves chicken legs so I will have to make plenty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky