A few questions about my smoked prime rib plan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chriskas

Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
So I have a 16 pound bone-in prime rib that is currently dry brining in my fridge.

My plan is this.

- Salt the meat and dry brine 2 days (Done)
- Next day apply meat rub (tomorrow)
- Day of the cook, apply herb rub (thyme, rosemary, garlic, lemon and orange zest)
- Smoke until 127 and let it rest for a half hour to 2 hours depending on how fast the cook goes

Few question.

1) I would like to reverse sear it (let it rest and then put it in the smoker or oven for 450 to 500 until a crust develops), Will that burn the herb crust?
2) Should I use a binder for the herb crust: butter, oil?
3) When I let it rest, I am going to put it in a cooler. How much will that raise the internal temp of the meat?

Thanks

Are you searing at the start or at the end?

So I have a 16 pound bone-in prime rib that is currently dry brining in my fridge.

My plan is this.

- Salt the meat and dry brine 2 days (Done)
- Next day apply meat rub (tomorrow)
- Day of the cook, apply herb rub (thyme, rosemary, garlic, lemon and orange zest)
- Smoke until 127 and let it rest for a half hour to 2 hours depending on how fast the cook goes

Few question.

1) I would like to reverse sear it (let it rest and then put it in the smoker or oven for 450 to 500 until a crust develops), Will that burn the herb crust?
2) Should I use a binder for the herb crust: butter, oil?
3) When I let it rest, I am going to put it in a cooler. How much will that raise the internal temp of the meat?

Thanks

Personally I would sear before putting the herb mixture on it then after you sear add it and go into the smoker. Then take it to 127-130° and let it rest in the cooler. It can rest for hours in the cooler until your ready. But if I was to do it as you say I would do the following.

1) It can you just have to keep an eye on it and turn alot. You can also baste with a Beef Broth mixture to help it from burning but giving a deeper beef flavor
2) This is up to you. I dont usually do it unless the surface if bone dry. But I would crust it a while before I put in the smoker so that it has time to adhere
3) Most meat will rise 3-7° when resting. It depends on the temp of the cooler. If its hot already(Like if you put boiling water in it then drained) It may go up more. But if its cold it will be in the 3-5° range.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky