A Chuck Roast for the Spit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks so perfect and delicious! I might have to pop in to HEB and grab one. This site is killing me, now I need a spit and a wok!
Thank you sir! I can highly recommend the rotisserie from Titan Great Outdoors - it is a beast and can spin a 150-lb hog, barely notices these small roast beefs, and it could not be easier to use!

Last edited:
Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Well, I smoked it - the beef flavor was off the planet - there is no question that chuck is the best tasting part of a beef for my palate. Cooked it to 205-degrees the thermometer slid right in. Wrapped it in foil and let is sit for an hour.

However, the entire roast tasted like the flat of a brisket - the part of a brisket that I do not like at all. Seems like no matter where I have tasted brisket flat (myriad barbecue joints), or how I have cooked it in the past, I just do not like it - it is far too lean. The only way I can enjoy the flat part of a brisket is when it is cured for corned beef - and cooked in a crock pot for 10-hours - but even then I prefer the point section much more...

Therefore, the roast went into the garbage.

No worries - I learned, and that is what counts. I just bought another whole prime chuck shoulder from HEB and it will be on the spit in a few days - and I am going to keep trimming to the absolute minimum and spit-roast the whole 9-pounds of it.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Well, I smoked it - the beef flavor was off the planet ...

However, the entire roast tasted like the flat of a brisket ...

Therefore, the roast went into the garbage ...
So the spit roasted beef was great, but you did not like it smoked even though it had a good beef flavor. How about sandwiches?

So the spit roasted beef was great, but you did not like it smoked even though it had a good beef flavor. How about sandwiches?
Hey Edmonds,

The flat part of a brisket is just kryptonite to me - smoking the boneless chuck shoulder to the same temperature / texture as a brisket ruined it.

But I learned my lesson! :emoji_thumbsup:

#2 just finished its in foil resting with the spit sticking out both ends!

Earlier in the cook I think this vid has slightly less smoke blowing around!

Sorry to hear you discarded that last one. Sounds to me like it would have been an excellent start into a great smoked beef chili.

Sorry to hear you discarded that last one. Sounds to me like it would have been an excellent start into a great smoked beef chili.
Nah - I just do not like that brisket flat thing, and it was far too lean for any chili, in my humble opinion.

Sliced - I cooked this one a bit more than the first one - still incredible great taste and very tender, but I do prefer beef a little more rare. Nevertheless, the unsalted beef stock / Worcestershire sauce injection and overnight rest in the fridge IS fantastic.

IMG_1524.JPG

I whipped up a quick mushroom gravy with the drippings that were in the foil after the 1-hour rest. I went all the way to HEB this morning to get mushrooms and forgot them!!! So, I had to use canned - it's what I had. Made a roux, added the dripping and a little unsalted beef broth, a dash of Kitchen Bouquet, the mushrooms, and a pinch of salt.

Chuck is the best tasting beef there is, in my humble opinion. And that rotisserie cooks so good I think I am going to get rid of my smoker!
IMG_1525.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky