$90 off MES 30 @ Cabelas (good till Dec 3)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's one error I never made. THE worst error I made was when I used to fill the water pan with clean playground sand and then foil over the pan. After a smoke I got lazy and left the water pan inside my MES 30 when I wheeled it back into the garage on a hand truck. I thought the foil would keep the sand from spilling out; I was wrong. The next time I took the smoker out to wipe down the inside before using it I saw how very wrong I had been. There was a pile of sand, much of it damp and greasy, all along the bottom of the rear wall. Think how large the water pan is and that's how much sand had gathered back there. It was not a very pleasant cleanup job because I had to deal with getting a brush and many paper towels under and behind the wood chip tray and the heating element and the rack they sit on to get to the back of the smoker. Seemed like no matter how much I sand I brushed and wiped out of the smoker there was still all that much left to deal with.

Finally got it all done and cleaned up, and I never used playground sand again. I keep the water pan empty and foiled over for smoking.

Hello all,

My new MES 30 didn't come with a probe but I have a Weber "Style" digital thermometer with remote probe sensor and it works well as I have used it a number of times for sittin' chicken on the grill, venison bologna in the oven as well as using it to monitor the temp of whole pig we did on my Bro-in-law's trailer cooker. For my initial startup/season process, I plan to slide the probe wire through the top vent and close the vent enough so as to not pinch the wire then let the probe hang somewhere near the middle of the MES while it runs. I'm hoping this will give me a good idea of how accurate my MES digital readout is. I know the Weber is pretty accurate because I've cross checked the temp of meats I've cooked while using it with my handheld digital probe and it's always within a degree or two. I plan on using this setup to monitor the internal temp of any meats , bologna, sausage, etc. that I'm going to use this smoker for.

Any thoughts or input from my fellow smokemates is deeply appreciated.

SMB 

Burt.... sounds like a good game plan... my only suggestion would be to leave the top vent wide open.... this is the position you want it to be when your actually smoking.. so leave it that way while seasoning... you can put the probe through the racks and hold it that way....

Last edited:
Burt, I agree with JckDanls 07 because I was going to suggest the same thing. I always run the probe wire(s) down the top vent, which I leave open. If you leave the vent closed the interior temp will read higher than it would for actually smoking and that will give you the wrong temp reading.

I used to use a Taylor/Food Network therm with one probe but then I bought a Maverick ET-733 with two probes because while it's important to accurately monitor the smoker temp it's more important to monitor the food's internal temp.

Regarding the Maverick thermometer. I'd like to have two meat probes, instead of a meat and grill probe. Do they sell a spare meat probe? I tried looking on Amazon, but, didn't find one.

Regarding the Maverick thermometer. I'd like to have two meat probes, instead of a meat and grill probe. Do they sell a spare meat probe? I tried looking on Amazon, but, didn't find one.
There's only two probes on a Maverick ET-732 and 733. Some guys buy two sets for the very reason you're talking about. You could also buy a good quality single probe therm as well. Maverick,ThermoWorks, CDN, and others make some good ones.

Last edited:
Burt.... sounds like a good game plan... my only suggestion would be to leave the top vent wide open.... this is the position you want it to be when your actually smoking.. so leave it that way while seasoning... you can put the probe through the racks and hold it that way....
JckD,

I was under the assumption that the top vent was not only there for smoke to vent, but to control heat as well. If it's expected to be left wide open all the time while one's smoking, why is it adjustable?

SMB

The general consensus is that if you close the vent, you'll end up with creosote flavor in your food. Most of us run them full open, all the time, but not everyone.

Being an electric smoker, opening and closing the vent has little bearing on internal temp regulation, which are regulated in this case by the heater element controller. It will only trap more smoke inside, which in my experience so far is not welcomed. Some people do close the vent when initially getting the smoker up to temp to minimize heat loss during that fairly brief period. For wood burners, the vents play a much larger role.

~Mark

I agree with Bansai Mark. Leaving the top vent closed or partially closed will trap in the smoke. And he's right about the top vent not regulating heat when you think about it except for, in my opinion, holding the interior temp at your set point. If heat can't escape via the top vent, then the smoker should remain longer at the set point which will means the controller will not cycle as much. But then you've got all the smoke and creosote building up at the same time and the food will tasted harsh and overly-smoked. I just keep my top vent fully open. Bansai gave the reason why some people (not me) close the top vent when heating up the smoker. The only time I've seen advice to partially close it is if your wood chips or pellets are burning too hot and quickly, then you'd perhaps want to closed the vent halfway just to reduce airflow. With the AMNPS inside the MES 30 or 40, though, you want all the airflow you can get.

First and foremost...

I would like to thank all who have responded so far. Bear with me fellas, I've never had anything that has an adjustable heat range. I've smoked a lot of goodies on my Brinkman electrics but there was a lot of learning curve as to what I could or should not do. I appreciate the info I've been given so far, and I'm hoping the learning curve will be much shorter with the new MES 30. I will do as suggested and leave the top vent wide open when I do my seasoning run ( and smoking for that matter) while using my Weber remote digital for a corresponding temp, that should at least give me a good idea of how accurate the unit's temp sensor is. I have not ran the unit or seasoned it yet, I've left it sitting with the door open the last few days to help get rid of the nasty smell of all that foam and plastic they wrapped the parts with for shipping. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should wipe down the inside of the cabinet with? Maybe white vinegar?? I'm going to wash and dry the racks, water pan, and chip tray and dry them prior to my seasoning run.

I'm thinking my first smoke/cook is gonna be venison bologna or summer sausage in fibrous casings 2.75" diameter. I'm thinking I'll run the MES at 185-190 degrees until I reach the internal target temp of 160... Not sure if I should smoke during the entire process, or just the first few hours. From all I've read, fibrous casings will allow smoke to permeate. Should I initially run the unit at a low temp like 135-140 degrees for an hour or so to allow the casings to dry a bit and then apply smoke when I raise the temp? I do use liquid smoke in the recipe because that was suggested for cooking it in the oven. Any suggestions/comments?

AND... I don't have an AMNPS yet, but I'm considering purchasing one. I want to smoke some cheese, nuts, etc. for Christmas and I could always us it in my Brinkman (unplugged of course) to make some cold smoked goodies! 

SMB

Last edited:
Thanks JckDanis for the advice.  I went to Cabela's right after reading your post and got one.  You saved me mucho dinero.

I just purched this one from Sam's club for $140. Is this the same one you guys are talking about? I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not.

Sorry not the best pic!
Chase, this is indeed the MES 30 Gen 1 under discussion with the extra added bonus of legs! The standard issue MES 30 comes with two round front feet and two rear adjustable ones. I place my MES 30 on an old child's card table so that I don't have to bend down to tend to it. Since yours is on legs you wouldn't have that issue or need to buy a stand for it.

I think you can only make an informed decision as to whether to keep it or not after using it at least 3 times. If this is your first smoker, the first time you're just learning the smoker and some basic smoking techniques while perhaps smoking some pork ribs. The second time you know a bit more about the smoker and you can try a beef brisket. The third time out you can build on the experience and knowledge of the first two smokes and try a turkey breast, perhaps. If you find out you like smoking and are good at it, then you can look into how to cold smoke with the MES.

My MES 30 Gen 1 remains my first and only smoker and it remains one of the best buying decisions I ever made.

First and foremost...

I have not ran the unit or seasoned it yet, I've left it sitting with the door open the last few days to help get rid of the nasty smell of all that foam and plastic they wrapped the parts with for shipping. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should wipe down the inside of the cabinet with? Maybe white vinegar?? I'm going to wash and dry the racks, water pan, and chip tray and dry them prior to my seasoning run.

I'm thinking my first smoke/cook is gonna be venison bologna or summer sausage in fibrous casings 2.75" diameter.  I'm thinking I'll run the MES at 185-190 degrees until I reach the internal target temp of 160... Not sure if I should smoke during the entire process, or just the first few hours. From all I've read, fibrous casings will allow smoke to permeate. Should I initially run the unit at a low temp like 135-140 degrees for an hour or so to allow the casings to dry a bit and then apply smoke when I raise the temp?  I do use liquid smoke in the recipe because that was suggested for cooking it in the oven. Any suggestions/comments?

SMB
Anyone have anything to suggest as far as this is concerned?

SMB

Last edited:
Sure.. wipe it down with vinegar if you like... Then I would run it wide open (HOT) for a couple of hours with NO SMOKE... After it cools a little wipe the whole interior down with veggie oil (some use PAM, I personally like oil).. grates and all... then do a 2 hr "seasoning" w/smoke (@225)... If you have a set of digital thermometers, by all means use them during these "test's"....

As far as running low temps for cooking the venison bologna and summer sausage... that would depend on if there is cure #1 in them or not ? "I cannot assume there is cure #1 used and therefor would advise against cooking at low temps....

First and foremost...

I would like to thank all who have responded so far. Bear with me fellas, I've never had anything that has an adjustable heat range. I've smoked a lot of goodies on my Brinkman electrics but there was a lot of learning curve as to what I could or should not do. I appreciate the info I've been given so far, and I'm hoping the learning curve will be much shorter with the new MES 30. I will do as suggested and leave the top vent wide open when I do my seasoning run ( and smoking for that matter) while using my Weber remote digital for a corresponding temp, that should at least give me a good idea of how accurate the unit's temp sensor is. I have not ran the unit or seasoned it yet, I've left it sitting with the door open the last few days to help get rid of the nasty smell of all that foam and plastic they wrapped the parts with for shipping. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should wipe down the inside of the cabinet with? Maybe white vinegar?? I'm going to wash and dry the racks, water pan, and chip tray and dry them prior to my seasoning run.

I'm thinking my first smoke/cook is gonna be venison bologna or summer sausage in fibrous casings 2.75" diameter. I'm thinking I'll run the MES at 185-190 degrees until I reach the internal target temp of 160... Not sure if I should smoke during the entire process, or just the first few hours. From all I've read, fibrous casings will allow smoke to permeate. Should I initially run the unit at a low temp like 135-140 degrees for an hour or so to allow the casings to dry a bit and then apply smoke when I raise the temp? I do use liquid smoke in the recipe because that was suggested for cooking it in the oven. Any suggestions/comments?

AND... I don't have an AMNPS yet, but I'm considering purchasing one. I want to smoke some cheese, nuts, etc. for Christmas and I could always us it in my Brinkman (unplugged of course) to make some cold smoked goodies! 

SMB
Start with the easy answer first. Just as you said, the recipe calls for liquid smoke since you'd be cooking it in an oven. You bought a smoker so that you could infuse real wood smoke flavor into the meat so need for the liquid stuff, which I also use in the kitchen.

Burt, Burt, Burt....the whole reason behind seasoning your MES is to get rid of any nasties inside the smoker, which just means burning off any packing oils and such. This goes for the wood chip loader and the tray. Don't bother to season the removable stuff like the racks, water bowl, drip pan and the rear grease tray. Just wash those in hot water and soap and let them air dry. They will be fine. As for as washing the inside of the smoker with white vinegar to sanitize it? Burt---YOU BOUGHT A SMOKER NOT A SOMETHING TO PERFORM HEART SURGERY WITH. Remember that, with rare exceptions, food borne bacteria are killed off in cooking temperatures 140° and above. The lowest temp you'll hot smoke at will be 215°. I've cold smoked in my MES 30 Gen 1 with absolutely no problems. In fact, many of us here never clean the inside of our smokers (I do a little) because that just adds to the seasoning. Look at the pros who smoke on TV cooking shows. The insides of their smokers, whether a metal box or an entire room, are covered with smoke residue. Do you know what will happen if you clean the inside with white vinegar before you smoke. Everything in your first smoke will have the smell and taste of vinegar mixed in with the smoke and your seasonings. Keep the white vinegar in the kitchen as well.

Your MES came with an owners manual which tells you exactly how to season it before your first smoke. Please read it.

As far as cooking the sausage between 185-190° to get an IT of 160°, you may reach that target IT someday but it will days past dinnertime. You want to shoot for 225-250°. You should reach the target IT in just a few hours.

Good luck!

Thanks fellas,

I guess I should have been a little more specific. I AM a newbie to using the MES. I'm NOT a newbie to smoking and safe practices for such. I had no intention to wipe down the inside of the cabinet with straight white vinegar. The manual suggests a wipe down with a damp cloth, I was thinking of maybe a tablespoon of WV to a quart of water to initially help alleviate some of the plastic odor from the packing materials. I fully intend to wash and dry my racks, water pan, and other removables prior to use. As far as the manual, yes I did read it and also highlighted certain areas of interest.

JckDnls 07,

I like your prescribed method of seasoning...2 hour run/no smoke, cool and wipe down with veg oil followed by a 2 hour run with smoke vs the manual's suggested 45 min. with smoke. I'm also not an advocate for the use of Pam. I give all of my grinder plates, knives, auger, etc. a wipe down with mineral oil after each use and cleanup. As far as later cleanup of the MES, I'll just wash and dry my racks (and drip pan if necessary) and leave the cabinet alone.

daRicksta,

As far as the use of liquid smoke, you know as well as I do that there's NO WAY that the smoke will penetrate to the center of a 2.5" log of Bologna during the normal allotted time for smoke cooking or hot smoking as you say.  So the liquid smoke just enhances the flavor. A number of the processors in my area use it and they don't get any complaints. I DO use instacure #1 in the prescribed amount for the recipe. The reason I asked about starting at a low temp initially is to help dry the casing to allow the smoke to permeate once the temp is raised to the cooking stage. Everything I've read in the number of books I have on smoking like those put out by Rytek Kutas or the Marianskis state that smoke will repel from a wet or damp surface and not penetrate. I will agree that the higher temp will cook the product in much less time. The first time I cooked Bologna in my oven at 180 it took a long time to reach my target temp of 160 internal. However, I don't want it to come out too dry to be palatable, so I'm skeptical about cooking at too high a temp. I'm expecting somewhat of a learning curve with the MES so I definitely appreciate all the help and guidance I'm offered by you good folks.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya'll posted on how my first smoke turns out.

SMB 

Last edited:
Looks great and a smokin deal for 140 I  just purchased one without the legs for 160 at sportsmans guide, free shipping - no cabelas close to me so good enough deal, I had it within 3 days or so. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

Thanks fellas,

I guess I should have been a little more specific. I AM a newbie to using the MES. I'm NOT a newbie to smoking and safe practices for such. I had no intention to wipe down the inside of the cabinet with straight white vinegar. The manual suggests a wipe down with a damp cloth, I was thinking of maybe a tablespoon of WV to a quart of water to initially help alleviate some of the plastic odor from the packing materials. I fully intend to wash and dry my racks, water pan, and other removables prior to use. As far as the manual, yes I did read it and also highlighted certain areas of interest.

JckDnls 07,

I like your prescribed method of seasoning...2 hour run/no smoke, cool and wipe down with veg oil followed by a 2 hour run with smoke vs the manual's suggested 45 min. with smoke. I'm also not an advocate for the use of Pam. I give all of my grinder plates, knives, auger, etc. a wipe down with mineral oil after each use and cleanup. As far as later cleanup of the MES, I'll just wash and dry my racks (and drip pan if necessary) and leave the cabinet alone.

daRicksta,

As far as the use of liquid smoke, you know as well as I do that there's NO WAY that the smoke will penetrate to the center of a 2.5" log of Bologna during the normal allotted time for smoke cooking or hot smoking as you say.  So the liquid smoke just enhances the flavor. A number of the processors in my area use it and they don't get any complaints. I DO use instacure #1 in the prescribed amount for the recipe. The reason I asked about starting at a low temp initially is to help dry the casing to allow the smoke to permeate once the temp is raised to the cooking stage. Everything I've read in the number of books I have on smoking like those put out by Rytek Kutas or the Marianskis state that smoke will repel from a wet or damp surface and not penetrate. I will agree that the higher temp will cook the product in much less time. The first time I cooked Bologna in my oven at 180 it took a long time to reach my target temp of 160 internal. However, I don't want it to come out too dry to be palatable, so I'm skeptical about cooking at too high a temp. I'm expecting somewhat of a learning curve with the MES so I definitely appreciate all the help and guidance I'm offered by you good folks.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya'll posted on how my first smoke turns out.

SMB 
SMB,

I'm now up to speed on what you're doing; perhaps I read past it in our post. I thought you were a newbie to smoking but I was obviously wrong. You're making your own bologna? What did you mean by" the allotted amount of time" for hot smoking. How much time is recommended to smoke bologna?

I hope to make my own sausage next year if I can pick up a stuffer at a reasonable price. I know of a couple of good how-to websites but have no books on it so you're way ahead of me. I'd like to start out making some smoked sausage to see how it goes. Wouldn't be 2.5" thick so it should only take a few hours.

Again, I really enjoy using my MES 30 Gen 1.

SMB,

I'm now up to speed on what you're doing; perhaps I read past it in our post. I thought you were a newbie to smoking but I was obviously wrong. You're making your own bologna? What did you mean by" the allotted amount of time" for hot smoking. How much time is recommended to smoke bologna?

I hope to make my own sausage next year if I can pick up a stuffer at a reasonable price. I know of a couple of good how-to websites but have no books on it so you're way ahead of me. I'd like to start out making some smoked sausage to see how it goes. Wouldn't be 2.5" thick so it should only take a few hours.

Again, I really enjoy using my MES 30 Gen 1.
daRicksta,

Yes I've been processing my own game for years and I've been making my own sausage and bologna for a long time. Mostly "fresh sausage" but I have smoked some in my Brinkman and while it's OK, it's not stellar because the Brinkman electric runs at a constant 220-240 degrees so the cook time is pretty quick, much like baking it in your oven. I usually hung the sausage in a cool area and let the casing air dry for a few hours prior to putting it in the Brinkman smoker so it would absorb more smoke. Good books on smoking are paramount to doing things correctly and while I haven't got a smoker large enough to do all the things I'd like to do. I eventually plan on building a homemade smoker from an old upright freezer (steel lined) that I was given so I read as much as possible and absorb the info in an effort to lessen the learning curve and have a good working knowledge of what the do's and don'ts are. I have most of the equipment I need to set myself up a nice little shop where I could do things year around if I want. The Mrs. and I have been experiencing some "economic hard times" so to speak, having both lost our full time manufacturing jobs due to outsourcing, and we're currently surviving on part time jobs so my dream of building a small shop has been put on hold 'til our ship comes back in... fingers crossed!!

You can make the small diameter "cracker bologna" quite easily and you wouldn't need a large stuffer for that. A good quality 5lb stuffer  would be fine.

SMB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky