88's Plywood Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slanted88

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 13, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Some of ya'll seen this. I got less than sixty bucks in this cause it was laying around or given to me. If ya need details i'll help ya. It is made from 3/4 inch plywood. Some have concerns about the glue or resins in the ply. I ran heat through it with a hot plate & smoke pellets to season then I ran the propane burner with oak & hickory. If something is gonna poison me I should be dead already. K here we go!

This was the plan.

Free stuff.

Ya'll have basic carpentry skills, don't let me bore ya!

Louie took the picture gives ya an idea of the size.

Tired....

I stained the outside & seasoned every chance I had.

Wutang Chuckies. Man what a fine smell!

I was a good boy & did not drink alot of beer.

Very nice job. The only thing that would concern me would be juices getting on the wood and soaking in. Would be hard to clean off and might start molding. I'd almost put some aluminum foil lining on the walls to ease with the cleaning process.

Thats a great looking smoker 88. How big of a burner did you use? How well did it do at getting up to temp. and at holding temp?

Thanks Jason

I must say that is pretty cool. Might need to try my hand at one for fun.

Got an old fish cooker burner. Temps change in less that 3 minutes with my control. With that register on top you can control the heat. I leave the register alone on top, it bleeds the heat & smoke out just right. Folk's remember heat rises so it really does not get hot. I had it up to 350* to season with numerous smokes. Some are concerned about plywood & it's glue or resin. It is fine this plywood is seasoned from low heat. Resins/glue gas out then they form a bond. Hey i'm just a simple man. Don't let me tell ya the gig!

If anybody would be worried about the pine plywood you can always get oak veneered plywood. I don't think there would be a problem after seasoning it like 88 said. But the oak is just an option.

Jason

That is COOL!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I like the HVAC registers. Very clean looking. Did you use hardwood for the shelf supports? I'd be curious to see what the insides look like after several smokes. Wonder if it will get pretty "seasoned" looking like the UDS does. Do you have a plate above the burner to catch dripping fat and what not?

Great job.

Dave

2x2 pine for the shelf supports. It seasons really good. I have a old frying pan over the burner, got it from Salvation Army for 2 bucks. Lid over the pan with holes drilled it in it, 1 buck at the SA store. I'll get more pics. For what not, I can replace that bottom piece for less than i'll have to clean it. Time is money. Me I gotta watch racin this time of year! Oww Louie that hurts!

Hey 88.... looks great. Very similar to mine. Just wanted to mention that I switched my door latches to window sash latches. I picked up a few at a yard sale for .50 each. I like them because they actually push the door closed tight. I like your vents, I'm going to have to add them to mine. Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky