65 Day Aged CAB Prime Rib: A Truly Epic Experience (Very Long W / Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Observation: I can only imagine that folks are getting burnt out with all of my recent beef related posts and the Santa Mara grill. Here is the issue on my end. With all the great threads here and all of the inspiration I get from this group, the creativity keeps increasing and the meals just keep getting better. Turning out food as good as it's been recently, I find it virtually impossible not to share. If any of the mods feel that I'm over-doing it, please send me a PM with a cease & desist order and I'll slither back under my rock for a while :emoji_wink:

chilerelleno chilerelleno 3 weeks ago you stated that I was a bit trigger happy with my anemic attempt at a retaliatory strike using my prime rib as ammunition in our very friendly food wars. You were correct then and still are however it was all that I had left in my arsenal to to fire back at your 2 Pigs In A Blanket. Well sir, yesterday was judgement day and the prime rib was served. The aftermath of this onslaught is noteworthy so I'm going to lob a firecracker at your atomic warhead with this one.

Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan Zach, so sorry you missed this. I understand that work called and you had to answer. As great as our Surf And turf was last week, this one edged it out by a bit.

Ok....now to get started. This turned out to be far more than just a meal, it was an overall amazing experience. Great friends, great food, a relaxing environment, and a whole bunch of fun....as well as a few margaritas. It was originally just going to be the 65 day aged Certified Angus Beef prime rib. Due to almost a 50% loss of weight between aging and trimming the prime rib, then doing a head count yesterday morning, I was concerned that we may not have enough meat. I decided to do a Piedmontese Beef sirloin roast smoked and reverse seared. First it would ensure enough meat to go around and second it would be a good practice run because I'm doing a couple of these for our Cen Tex Que and Brew event that's coming up, and I'd never done one before. Additionally, although not planned this way, it turned kinda into a mini SMF event. We had several members here. They were:

@snakehead (Gerald)
@woodwindricky (Ricky and his wife Connie)
@TXRick (Rick and his wife Susan)
tx smoker tx smoker (me and my wife Tracy)

Non-SMF members included:
Lori and Dave
Greg and Jan
Doug and Sue
Jonathan

Now to the food:

Appetizers and who brought them were: 2 different cured dry aged sausages (Ricky), smoked extra sharp cheddar cheese (me), a huge veggie plate with dip (Doug and Sue), an astonishing fruit salsa with homemade pita chips (Lori)
058.jpg

Here is a close-up of the fruit salsa. OMG!! So good....
059.jpg

Main course included: prime rib (me), sirloin roast (me), mushrooms stuffed with fresh lump crab meat, butter, and garlic (me), asparagus with a Parmesan cream sauce (me), homemade Au Jus (me), homemade horseradish sauce (Connie), two different salads (Susan and Jan), fresh croissants (Gerald). I pretty much concentrated on the main course and let everybody else fill in the blanks around the meal.

Prime rib bought over two months ago
033.jpg

Rinsed, dried, and into the UMAi bag
035.jpg

Just over 2 months later
031.jpg

Trimmed and ready to prep for cooking. Look at the rich coloring of that meat!!
04.jpg

Basted with Worcestershire sauce and coated with salt and pepper, and onto the rotisserie spit to go on the grill a bit later over Mesquite
051.jpg

The Piedmontese Beef sirloin roast. If you notice, it's almost the same color as the prime rib that aged for 65 days
047.jpg

As with the prime rib, just Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Difference is that this will get smoked with Hickory then seared on the grill
048.jpg

Roast on the smoker about an hour and a half into the cook at 240*
056.jpg

Lump crab meat mixture made up and ready to stuff into the mushrooms
049.jpg

All stuffed into the Portabellas which will cook in more butter and garlic
050.jpg

A huge homemade grilling wok full of fresh asparagus tossed with EVOO and Italian spices
055.jpg

Prime rib on the grill
054.jpg

About an hour in and looking great!!
057.jpg

'Shrooms on the grill
068.jpg

Ricky picking up the Zach slack and working on the home brewed Irish Red Ale
071.jpg

Folks hanging out int he pool with their favorite libations
060.jpg

My buddy Gerald. If any of you are tired of my insanity, you have him to blame. He's the one who turned me onto SMF...so it's all his fault :emoji_laughing: That's Greg off to the right
063.jpg

Rick and Susan
064.jpg

Ricky and Connie enjoying some munchies
065.jpg

Back to the food. 'Shrooms done. Will go into the oven to keep warm
069.jpg

Asparagus on the grill
073.jpg

Sirloin roast over the sear burner
074.jpg

Folks hanging out while I continue to slave away
075.jpg

Prime rib all done. Gonna wrap and put in a cooler for a bit
067.jpg

Au jus going
070.jpg

Parmesan cream sauce in progress
072.jpg

Sirloin roast all done
077.jpg

Prime rib all sliced. I had a couple of flare-up on the grill as the fat was melting off the outside. One end was more toward medium, but the other end nice and pink. This worked well though as some folks prefer their meat a little more on the medium side
078.jpg

Sirloin roast all sliced up. I should have pulled this 2 minutes earlier but it was still fantastic.
079.jpg

The whole spread. Two pics
080.jpg

081.jpg

Money shot: my plate
083.jpg

Now for the desserts. We had cheesecake squares (made famous by Connie) and a French Chocolate Silk pie made by Lori. Even though folks weren't overly hungry after eating, all of the pie was gone and most of the cheesecake squares.There are more of these but as hot as it was, we only put them out a few at a time so they wouldn't melt.
086.jpg

087.jpg

088.jpg

Rick performing his mandatory post-dessert concert. This is always a great time!!
091.jpg

At the end of the day ladies and gentlemen, this was the best meal I've ever eaten.....period. Interestingly enough though, it kinda turned into a "Battle of the Beef". People were waffling back and forth about which was better: the prime rib or the sirloin roast. Both were amazing....juicy, tender, succulent, and unbelievably flavorful. Overall I'd say it was a tie but in my book the sirloin beat out the prime rib by a bit. It just had a flavor that I enjoyed more but still had all the tenderness and texture of the prime rib... but that prime rib did melt in your mouth :emoji_sunglasses: All in all, this was a truly epic day spent with friends, food, and companionship. It just does not get any better than this and, as stated in the beginning, it was just too good not to share. Since it was more than just a meal, I wanted to share some of the experience versus just the food. Hope y'all don't mind :emoji_wink:

Slithering back under rock,
Robert

Last edited:
Damn it doesn't get any better than that ....... period. What a fun cooking & dining experience. That Prime Rib cooked over wood fire with rotisserie looks like heaven!

Life seems to suck.Hope the mods think you're over doing it and give you the boot.

Seriously that's what is all about.Enjoy these times!

Reactions: timstalltaletav
7SUTwut.gif

I was already sad that I missed this due to work, but man. I should've put in my notice and came on by! Good thing you didn't text me pics or I may have had to walk out! :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Seriously though. Well done. Not even sure what to comment. That all looks so damn good. Very complete meal with great people is hard to beat.

@woodwindricky , thanks for holding down the fort on the Irish Red! I'm sure you were sad you had to have a couple extra ones for me... You are a true gentleman and a scholar :emoji_wink:

Reactions: woodwindricky
Your wife and you sure do know how to throw down and host a BBQ Shindig.
The camaraderie, food and drink and entertainment are first-class.

Makes me sad to think that I'll have to miss what will surely be an epic event, the CenTex Que and Brew.
60gal of home brew awaits... Damn!

Too many postings of top notch Que?
WTH you smoking? No such thing.
Keep it coming!
Keep knocking it outta'da park!

"looks like a lot of great food and a lot of fun"

It certainly was a great time and the food just added to the experience of the event. Now to figure out how to top this one :-)

Don't have a clue yet,
Robert

"Damn... I'm living vicariously through your pics and just about drooling on my floor."

What an honor that you say that, however the visual of you drooling on the floor was a bit more than I needed :-) Additionally,it was unnecessary. All ya gotta do is come to Texas. Our door is always open.

"What a meal and more importantly what a great get together with good friends!"

I couldn't agree more. We are blessed to have a fantastic core group of friends and I'll never pass up an opportunity to spend time with them.

"Please keep the posts coming!!!"

Will do and I very much appreciate the encouragement. I love this place and have a blast sharing my food related endeavors.

Robert

"That looked like a great time and awesome eats!"

It certainly was Steve and thank you for the kind words. The only thing missing was.....you :emoji_wink: Next time we need to figure out a way to haul you down here from the frozen tundra of the Arctic north to join us.

Steve gonna melt down here,
Robert

"I was already sad that I missed this due to work, but man. I should've put in my notice and came on by! Good thing you didn't text me pics or I may have had to walk out! :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:"

Your name was mentioned numerous times as people wished you and Kay were there. Personally I think they just wanted the Deviled Eggs, but God knows, we sure didn't need any more food. My plan was to send you updates every few minutes but I was so friggin busy, I just didn't have time. Additionally, as horrible a typist as I am, that would have meant putting down the margarita to send the pictures and that just wasn't gonna happen

Seriously though. Well done. Not even sure what to comment. That all looks so damn good. Very complete meal with great people is hard to beat.

Well, you set the bar with the Surf and Turf the previous weekend and there was no way I was gonna be out-cooked on my won grill :-) Nuff said....but thank you very much for giving me a target to shoot for.

"woodwindricky , thanks for holding down the fort on the Irish Red! I'm sure you were sad you had to have a couple extra ones for me... You are a true gentleman and a scholar :emoji_wink:"

My brother Ricky taking one for the team. You da man!! What I didn't mention is that he floated the keg and had to start drinking Tracy's beer.

Waiting for the big brown truck bringing my beer ingredients,
Robert

"Man that looks like some great food and a good time. A lot of work but its always worth it IMO. Points for sure."

Thank you for the sentiments John, and you're right, it was a lot of work. The intention from the beginning was that I'd do the main course and let other folks bring the fill-in stuff. The idea being that it's lessen my work load by a lot. Man, was that ever a mistaken thought!! I still worked my but off all day, but it was so worth it. I'd do it all again tomorrow if there were enough folks here to warrant it though.

Need to plan better next time,
Robert

"Your wife and you sure do know how to throw down and host a BBQ Shindig.
The camaraderie, food and drink and entertainment are first-class."

Thank you sir!! We have had a lot of practice at entertaining and have thrown some big parties. I've also had a lot of practice designing and building houses. I designed this one with one purpose in mind: entertaining. Once Tracy added her wish list items (and an additional 1200 square feet), I was given the green light to build it :emoji_anguished:

Makes me sad to think that I'll have to miss what will surely be an epic event, the CenTex Que and Brew.
60gal of home brew awaits... Damn!

I'm working on solving that problem Chile. I can only hope (pray??) that my idea works.

Too many postings of top notch Que?
WTH you smoking? No such thing.
Keep it coming!
Keep knocking it outta'da park!

OMG....your enthusiasm is contagious. With that sort of support, it's impossible not to keep trying to come up with new, creative, and well prepared meals. It's time to start deleting pics from my camera phone though. i'm getting nasty-grams stating that I'm at capacity. Damned phone anyway....what does it know?

Ordering an SD card,
Robert

"That's impressive that the sirloin tasted better. I bet that was a lot easier on the wallet than the prime rib too."

I was quite surprised also, but pleasantly so. It's nice to have great tasting steaks and roasts available without having to spend 2 months or more aging them. Just go to the freezer and get out whatever I want and cook it. The advent of the Piedmontese Beef in my life has been a God-send, that's for sure. I'll most likely never buy standard American beef in a grocery store again. The nice thing is that this is raised in Nebraska so it's easy to get, it's just a totally different breed of cattle.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky