5lb A5 Japanese Wagyu Brisket Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

strut

Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I've been smoking a brisket or two a year for about 10 years now and have gotten to the point where I feel comfortable obtaining a consistent result in my smallish electric smoker. However, I've recently acquired a 5lb A5 Wagyu flat and my confidence has wained at the thought of cooking such an expensive piece of cow. I usually smoke packer cuts and worry about overcooking a flat by itself. I plan to fly by instruments and cook it strictly by thermometer readings, but does anyone have any advice on the length of cooking so I can set a guest arrival time? Should I anticipate less time, more time or about the same per pound?

Last edited:
Depends on your cook temp.
At 200 it will take 20 or so hours to finish.
At 350 (my preference) it will take 4 to 6 hours.

Reactions: PPG1
Since you say you are comfortable with doing run-of-the-mill briskets, then the more expensive and marbled cuts should be way more forgiving. ...And since you just have the flat you can just focus on that vs worrying about the point. There is no way of anticipating or predicting more or less how this particular brisket will cook time-wise. Just plan ahead to give yourself plenty of time and rest wrapped in a cooler until serve time.

Depends on your cook temp.
At 200 it will take 20 or so hours to finish.
At 350 (my preference) it will take 4 to 6 hours.
I'm in the low and slow camp. 350 degrees would scare the hell out of me!

Where did you pick the brisket up at ?
Don’t forget to post pics when you finish it !

If A5 Brisket is as marbled as other cuts, i have to wonder if it is as Tough as choice or prime brisket. Maybe it can be eaten Seared Rare or med/rare like any other A5 cut. Has anyone ever tried searing a 1/2" slice to see how tender A5 Brisket really is???...JJ

I've been smoking a brisket or two a year for about 10 years now and have gotten to the point where I feel comfortable obtaining a consistent result in my smallish electric smoker. However, I've recently acquired a 5lb A5 Wagyu flat and my confidence has wained at the thought of cooking such an expensive piece of cow. I usually smoke packer cuts and worry about overcooking a flat by itself. I plan to fly by instruments and cook it strictly by thermometer readings, but does anyone have any advice on the length of cooking so I can set a guest arrival time? Should I anticipate less time, more time or about the same per pound?
Good timing - I just smoked an A5 packer this weekend. Here was my experience:
I’d Plan for about 1hr/lb at 250 ish pre-trim, the real answer is who the hell knows but it did cook a bit faster than a prime. Make sure you have over a drip pan. Get all the fat off from the top of the flat or you won’t get a good bark. Don’t be afraid to remove fat, you’re not drying that thing out regardless - just be sure to keep the fat for tallow (liquid gold). Take off any thin parts and make burnt ends - there’s more marbling in an A5 flat than prime point. Any more questions with my experience with it let me know.
C8DACF7E-5FAC-4B95-801B-57DDB13D4425.jpeg
9DA5C814-88D8-4A77-AAFF-521DAAF867D0.jpeg

Good timing - I just smoked an A5 packer this weekend. Here was my experience:
I’d Plan for about 1hr/lb at 250 ish pre-trim, the real answer is who the hell knows but it did cook a bit faster than a prime. Make sure you have over a drip pan. Get all the fat off from the top of the flat or you won’t get a good bark. Don’t be afraid to remove fat, you’re not drying that thing out regardless - just be sure to keep the fat for tallow (liquid gold). Take off any thin parts and make burnt ends - there’s more marbling in an A5 flat than prime point. Any more questions with my experience with it let me know. View attachment 496237View attachment 496238
Thanks! That really helped!

Well, without a doubt that was the easiest smoke I've ever done. The meat was so well marbled (see photo) I'm not sure I could have ruined it if I tried. I started at 10:00am by putting the flat into my 30" Masterbuilt with their Slow Smoker attachment at 230 degrees (which was all I could get out of it when setting it to 275). Four hours later it went into the stall (167 degrees) so I wrapped it and put it back in for about another 2.5 hours. By that time the temp had risen to 190 at which point I unwrapped it and finished it off (about 45 minutes to 205 degrees) on my Weber Kettle (300 degrees) before pulling it off for a 45 minute rest. Dinner right on schedule at 7:00pm. The guests were astounded! As you might expect, I lost quite a bit to shrinkage so the 5lb starting weight was about right for six people with enough left for my wife and I to have a sandwich later in the week. Thanks to all for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_7940.jpg
    IMG_7940.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7941.jpg
    IMG_7941.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7944.jpg
    IMG_7944.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 46
Well, without a doubt that was the easiest smoke I've ever done. The meat was so well marbled (see photo) I'm not sure I could have ruined it if I tried. I started at 10:00am by putting the flat into my 30" Masterbuilt with their Slow Smoker attachment at 230 degrees (which was all I could get out of it when setting it to 275). Four hours later it went into the stall (167 degrees) so I wrapped it and put it back in for about another 2.5 hours. By that time the temp had risen to 190 at which point I unwrapped it and finished it off (about 45 minutes to 205 degrees) on my Weber Kettle (300 degrees) before pulling it off for a 45 minute rest. Dinner right on schedule at 7:00pm. The guests were astounded! As you might expect, I lost quite a bit to shrinkage so the 5lb starting weight was about right for six people with enough left for my wife and I to have a sandwich later in the week. Thanks to all for the help!
Great job - off the charts flavor right?

Great job - off the charts flavor right?
Absolutely! We always quick sear the occasional A5 steak cut, but with the smoke element on this cut it takes things to the next level still!

Absolutely! We always quick sear the occasional A5 steak cut, but with the smoke element on this cut it takes things to the next level still!
Agree - front the trimmings I have 3 big mason jars of tallow that I’ll be injecting my future briskets with - gonna get every pennys worth of that thing!

Reactions: strut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky