4H Taught Me About Food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was honoured to be asked by 4H to judge a speech contest. It was a wonderful experience. The young speakers were talented and spoke with a confidence I didn't have at their age. They were very impressive.

One of the speeches was about production of food and the addition of antibiotics, steroids and treatment at the feed lots. I learned a lot about commercial production of food, not all good!

I am so impressed that the 4H organization is not just growing our future leaders but is helping them learn and communicate this kind of information.

This is an organization worthy of your support.

Disco

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I agree Disco. I feel it's important to have good organizations, like 4-H, to present facts about our food production, good and bad, and have an open debate. I don't care for organizations taking partial information to form their opinions.

It's great to see young folks participating in events like this. It gives me hope for the future. Congrats on being selected as a judge! I'm sure you served them well.

Noshrimp

I agree Disco. I feel it's important to have good organizations, like 4-H, to present facts about our food production, good and bad, and have an open debate. I don't care for organizations taking partial information to form their opinions.

It's great to see young folks participating in events like this. It gives me hope for the future. Congrats on being selected as a judge! I'm sure you served them well.

Noshrimp
So true. These kids seemed to be educated to gather information and think for themselves. Bright, well spoken and independent. Yes, they bring great hope for the future.

Disco

I agree Disco. I feel it's important to have good organizations, like 4-H, to present facts aboutstill our food production, good and bad, and have an open debate. I don't care for organizations taking partial information to form their opinions.

Noshrimp
So true. These kids seemed to be educated to gather information and think for themselves. Bright, well spoken and independent. Yes, they bring great hope for the future.

Disco

4-H is a great place to learn as kids, I still remember my time in 4-H with my horse. Agree with ya both on how awesome of a program that is ! Bet that was a great experience Disco ! Justin

Last edited:
What an honor! I agree with you about some of the procedures being done. I like to think I'm making my food myself so it should be OK but meat, vegetables, and fruit is tampered with before it gets to my house.

One of my biggest regrets looking back on my  highschool years was not joining 4H. Back then i didnt have the passion for food and agriculture that i have now them though

Disco Nice honor. I wish 4H was offered in my school. I guess they didn't think city folks would ever move to the country
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Happy smoken.

David

4-H is a great place to learn as kids, I still remember my time in 4-H with my horse. Agree with ya both on how awesome of a program that is ! Bet that was a great experience Disco ! Justin
It does kind of warm your heart to see young people take on a challenge and do well. 

What an honor! I agree with you about some of the procedures being done. I like to think I'm making my food myself so it should be OK but meat, vegetables, and fruit is tampered with before it gets to my house.
Thanks, Todd. I think I am well informed on these issues but this kid had really researched and gave a good presentation. I wish everyone thought more about what they were eating.

One of my biggest regrets looking back on my  highschool years was not joining 4H. Back then i didnt have the passion for food and agriculture that i have now them though
I know what you mean, Doug. I went to school in a big city. They didn't have 4H and I think I could have got a lot from it.

Disco

Disco Nice honor. I wish 4H was offered in my school. I guess they didn't think city folks would ever move to the country
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Happy smoken.

David
I was honoured, David. Organizations like 4H and other youth leadership programs do so much to give these kids confidence. I moved from the city to the country too and would have loved to know more.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky