325 Gal Reverse flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good.

You welding is slick, so don't bother wasting wire/gas on the inside.

If you have not welded it yet just do the outside in downhand. Roll it around and weld downwards. It will give you a better looking weld nd plenty strong enough.

Looks good.
You welding is slick, so don't bother wasting wire/gas on the inside.
If you have not welded it yet just do the outside in downhand. Roll it around and weld downwards. It will give you a better looking weld nd plenty strong enough.

Yeah I'm not planning on welding anymore inside the box. I was messing around with my settings. I've never welded that much with my home welder. Putting it to the test.

If you find it is not penetrating adequately, due to lack of amperage, preheat the steel with a propane weed burner..  that will make up for lack of amperage...   If you have a non-contact Infra Red therm, get the metal up to 4-500 degrees and try welding...   If that's too hot, try 300...

If you find it is not penetrating adequately, due to lack of amperage, preheat the steel with a propane weed burner..  that will make up for lack of amperage...   If you have a non-contact Infra Red therm, get the metal up to 4-500 degrees and try welding...   If that's too hot, try 300...

Welds are coming out great. I have a 230 volt Lincoln 175 plus. Altough it recomends I be using flux core for 1/4". I have it turned all the way up.

I have the Lincoln 175 square wave TIG / Stick machine...  also a Miller Trailblazer....   2 very nice machines...   Do you run your flux core electrode negative ???   I've heard it runs good in that mode....

You might have to pull the cover and switch the wires inside, to get the reverse polarity....

Last edited:
I have the Lincoln 175 square wave TIG / Stick machine...  also a Miller Trailblazer....   2 very nice machines...   Do you run your flux core electrode negative ???   I've heard it runs good in that mode....

You might have to pull the cover and switch the wires inside, to get the reverse polarity....

I'm running solid wire with argon/co2 gas. When I originally bought the welder years ago it came with a small 1lb spool of flux core but I didn't like the way it laid a bead. So I bought a 12 lb spool of .35 wire and put a gas bottle on it. I like the gas and solid wire much better. My only gripe with the welder is the gun line is so sensitive, if you have it twisted the slightest bit, the wire won't feed. And yes I do remember having to switch the wiring to run it with solid wire. I've had this machine for probably 10 years and have used it hear and there on little jobs around the house. Built a king size bed frame headboard and footboard out of 2x2 square and 4x4 square corner posts, and also built a wall unit for our living room. Now it's time to make a smoker...

Last edited:
it will work, but

1./ it maybe a bitch to weld to the steel frame being so fine

2./ It will gum up easy with food/ chicken skin etc.

it will work, but

1./ it maybe a bitch to weld to the steel frame being so fine
2./ It will gum up easy with food/ chicken skin etc.

At 30$ it sounds good. But I don't want it to be a pain in the butt. Not really worried about the welding but the food junk collecting on it I could see it being a pain now that you mention it

Got my fire box tacked on. Oh I'm getting more excited. I have 6 1/2 inches of ground clearance at the rear of the box, but it's not completely built yet. I was shooting for the same ground clearance as the u bolts on the axels. I might weld on a heavy 1/2 piece to act as a skid plate, or do I have to worry about that? I bought a sheet of 3/16 to make a vertical box on top of the fire box. Thinking 24 deep by 24 wide by 36 tall. Any concerns with doing that? I am not finish welinding it completely across the top side of the firebox yet so I can still cut away some of the cc for the vertical box to fit in. Comment and any concerns welcomed. I want to do it right the first time.

Last edited:
Welding my vertical box in. Measures 2x2x3. Thinking dual stacks from the main chamber one on each side of the vertical box. And then one from the top of the vertical box.
Got doors drawn out. Came down 12" from 12oclock. Should have enough space for 3 racks. I'm thinking the bottom will be stationary. And the middle and top will be sliders.

I'm starting to wonder if my weight is to concentrated from the axels back. It's a really short trailer. I do plan on making a box on the front to hold wood, so that should add some tounge weight. But not sure if it will be enough. Any input on that ?

Got to building my first grate today. Went with some super Beefy 1/4 thick expanded metal. Frame is 1 1/2 tube 3/16 thick. With the grate pulled out on the tilt stops, I can sit on the edge of the grate, and it is very sturdy. Grate is 30x36".

Reactions: tiggyt
Should I go one more rack? Or call it good? I've got 8 more inches to the top. Could maybe go for a rib rack on the top? Don't need that much clearance. Losing 1 1/2" from the rack frame. I've got 5 1/2" from the bottom rack to the 2nd rack I built today. This second one is 30x32". I found out the proper name for the grating I am using, it's called 4 lb grating. (4lbs per sq ft) the first piece I used was free it was a remnant from a job we did, I had to buy a full sheet today so I could do the rest of the grates, wanted to keep it uniformed.

Last edited:
Just keep the upper rack removable just incase you need some more real estate for doing some ribs. You could probably squeeze some shoulders in there. I don't like to crowd stuff in the smoker. Great looking build. I like the short fat tank. Still trying to find a fatty for my trailer build.
Jason

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky