3 1/2 Pound T-Bone: An Exercise In Simplicity (W / Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Image result for sax man gif

Daammnn son! That looks so good I had to turn on some sax music and get up and dance. That all looks great and congrats on the carousel ride!

I've seen a few episodes of Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine and have enjoyed them to a large degree. One theme I believe I've picked up on is that when he creates the new menus for these places he tends to keep it simple but still makes some really good food. I took that concept last weekend and applied it to a top notch dinner I put together for us and a couple of friends. All of the offerings were only 3 to 5 ingredients and all were readily available in almost any pantry or fridge in the world. Decided to go with a 3 1/2 pound T-Bone and run it on the rotisserie of the Weber Performer.

Here is the steak (roast??). It started out at 3 pounds 10 ounces but I trimmed it just a bit
View attachment 484244

Broke out the good stuff for this one. This was posted a while ago by a forum member and it is outstanding stuff.
View attachment 484245

Steak all seasoned up. Used only the Worcestershire sauce, pink Himalayan sea salt, and black pepper
View attachment 484246

Made up a cheesy potato casserole with bacon and jalapenos then topped with a little bread crumbs
View attachment 484247

Made some au jus. This had beef broth, Better Than Bouillon beef base, garlic powder, black pepper, and minced onions
View attachment 484248

Little appetizer plate. The cheese and sausage were Christmas gifts from Tracy's aunt. Needed to use them up so here they are. The dip is just a little mayo, sour cream, and dry Ranch Dressing seasoning but was very good.
View attachment 484250

Got the meat going. Had to drill holes through the bone end to get the spit and tines through but it was easy enough.
View attachment 484251

Maybe I'm just biased but I really like this picture!!
View attachment 484252

Did up some bread with garlic olive oil, garlic powder, and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
View attachment 484253

Jodi brought a beautiful Caparese salad. This was amazing!!
View attachment 484254

Steak all done
View attachment 484255

The whole spread
View attachment 484256

Finally time to eat...it's 82 degrees and we are having dinner on the patio
View attachment 484257

And the executive chef after a long day coking and a big meal
View attachment 484258

I know I'm going to get slapped around for this but the meat got away from me by a little bit. It took an hour and a half to get to 105 then less than 15 minutes later it was at 130. I went into a panic when I saw that. Literally, I yanked the steak from the grill with no gloves or hot pads...but it was too late. I'm guessing that with the carry over it wound up at 137 or so. More medium than medium rare. Still very tender, juicy, and flavorful though. Just not what I wanted. All in all I'd say the minimalist approach to all things food for this one was a success. There is not a thing I'd change about this meal. Oddly enough it was the potatoes and the au jus that stole the show. They were so good!! Folks ate all the bread I cooked and literally got the sandwich bread and butter out to soak up the rest of the au jus with. There were a few taters left that got incorporated into breakfast the next morning. The Caparese salad was an amazing accompaniment to dinner and a total surprise, but they too are a very minimalist salad...but a very good one. This was kind of a fun experiment and I can certainly see that you don't need a cornucopia of ingredients to make a really nice meal. Well, gonna call this one done. Y'all have a good one, stay safe, and I have a couple other things I may post up in the next few days.

Robert
Man o Man ....wow..that is one big chunk of beef that you did just right. I am jealous. Congrats on the carosel ride too.

Awesome!!
As soon as I read 3 1/2 pound T-Bone, I knew right away who it would be!!
You Never Disappoint!!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Very nice Robert! Next time the IT has a mind of its own....Just drop it in a doggie bag and I'll be by to take it off your hands...lol

Oh was going to add that since our fam has been testing out Gordon Ramsey recipes out of his cook book we have also found that his plate is limited to just a few items.....We have noticed that it helps you elevate those few cause you have more time to focus.....

Awesome looking meal Robert! It all looks delicious, you must have done an excellent job on the au jus... maybe your guests thought it was more polite to dip bread in it than just pick it up and drink it!

Ryan

Wow, that is a great cook. I like open top or live fire cooking too, no rotisserie but I have some great skewers. You mentioned the internal temp, I wonder if the rod and forks conducted more heat than you had planned?

Reactions: sawhorseray
Robert ,The only reason that I would slap you around is because I didn't get any of that meal ,The whole meal looks fantastic ,great job

Thank you!! The door is always open. Feel free drop by at any time. I have a few steaks in the overflow freezer :emoji_wink:

I think we get hung up though on trying to get it perfect everytime when in reality it tastes delicious at medium also lol. I understand though. That pic on the rotisserie is stunning. Nice work bud.

You're absolutely correct Jake. You reach a point after a few good meals that the expectation is that all will be perfect, and that's what we strive for. You're also correct that the steak was still very good and not to the point of being dried out....but 5 more minutes would have been the death of it :emoji_laughing: IMHO that pic is the best of the bunch and honestly, the only one that I feel may be worthy of the carousel.

I think many restaurant menus are just way to big

I completely agree Jeff. Even the big chain restaurants are massive in their menu offerings and they have years of experience dealing with it. Be a difficult task to keep up with a ton of stuff if you're a small mom and pop place. Makes good sense to me.

Love the rotisserie work! I bet it smeeled wonderful while cooking as well as eating.

Thank you Eddie. Actually you couldn't smell much except the charcoal and hickory. Had the lid on the grill the whole time it was cooking. When it came into the house though, that was a different story :emoji_wink:

Robert

Meal looks ready nice Robert. Your friends salad looks great.

Appreciate it Brian. The meal was good but that salad was off the hook.

All looks fantastic to me. Well done sir.

Thanks so much

That is one nice looking stake, Robert! Looks mighty tasty! I like the Caprese salad as well!

Thank you. It was tasty but the salad really added to the meal.

Shoot im gonna come camp on your patio this weekend. Gonna be low teens here.

Come on down!! No need to cap on the patio though. We have space. Just give me 5 minutes notice to turn the light on and roll out the red carpet.

Robert

I'd be thrilled to sitting down to that table, tender juicy beef and gorgeous sides, what's not to like? Like!

Thank you my friend and thank you for the like. you know you're more than welcome any time buddy. I guess I could oad up the truck with steaks and head to AZ, but then you'rd have to do all the cooking :emoji_laughing:

Now that's a full meal deal right there ! Great looking plate

Thanks so much.

Slap you around|?? My first thought when I saw the plated shot was, "My God, he's finally cooked one to perfect!!!

You and my wife think too much alike. That's kinda scary :emoji_laughing:

We like simple here anymore. Green Beans in Brown Butter with S&P is the most requested Veg

I'm more and more going the simplistic route. My favorite veg is a nice salad and Tracy's is grilled asparagus. We go thought a lot of those. Appreciate the kind words my friend.

Robert

Very nice meal Robert...i agree...that is a great pic. of the steak on the spit. Nice sides too. I'd pull up a chair for a plate.

Thanks so much Keith. I certainly wouldn't turn you away if you showed up for dinner. Matter f fat I'd probably put you to work cooking :emoji_astonished:

Fantastic looking meal there Robert

Thank you Jim. I appreciate it.

That T-bone looks excellent, and the whole plate delicious.

Thanks so much Mike. I honestly don't think the plate looks that good. Tasted good but lacks visual appeal from my perspective.

Very nice bud! And that just makes the wait harder for my new grill to get here

Thank you Steve. Just remember: all good things to those who wait. You're gonna love that thing!! So versatile you can do pretty much anything with the Performer.

Robert

Great looking meal. Nice job.

Thank you Rob.

Fantastic looking meal.
I just get to keep shoveling my patio off

I owned a shovel once. For the life of me though I couldn't figure out how to plug the thing in so I threw it away :emoji_laughing: The kind words are appreciated

Great spread Robert! man that all looks delish.

Thank you Dave. I let you down again though in that you didn't short out another keyboard :emoji_wink:

Daammnn son! That looks so good I had to turn on some sax music and get up and dance

Thanks John, but I gotta tell you bro...as talented as you may be, you gotta stop posting the selfies :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Reactions: Winterrider
Man o Man ....wow..that is one big chunk of beef that you did just right. I am jealous. Congrats on the carosel ride too.

Thanks so much...on all counts. I never expected the carousel ride though.

Awesome!!
As soon as I read 3 1/2 pound T-Bone, I knew right away who it would be!!
You Never Disappoint!!!

Very much appreciate the kind words Bear. The beauty of being able to get the huge primal cuts is that I can break them down however I want. I';ll cut a large roast sized chunk from every one I get just for meals like this one.

Very nice Robert! Next time the IT has a mind of its own....Just drop it in a doggie bag and I'll be by to take it off your hands...lol

I have no problem with that but you might have to fight that vicious killer attack dog that's pictured in the food coma in the last pic :emoji_laughing:

Awesome looking meal Robert! It all looks delicious, you must have done an excellent job on the au jus... maybe your guests thought it was more polite to dip bread in it than just pick it up and drink it

Thanks Ryan!! We've all been for quite a while. No shame or embarrassment for any of us picking up the bowl and drinking out of it. We've all done it :emoji_wink:

Robert

You mentioned the internal temp, I wonder if the rod and forks conducted more heat than you had planned?

I kinda doubt it. I've done many, many cooks on the rotisserie and never had that happen. Cooker temp was consistent, rotisserie speed never changed, as I'm kinda at a loss why it jumped so much so fast. I'll just pay closer attention next time.

Nothing wrong with this! Nice looking presentation also.

Thanks so much. Personally I think the presentation is lacking a bit, except for the pic of the steak spinning with the fire dancing in the background.

Glad it still was juicy.

Not by much :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks amazing Robert. I like a good medium rare. I think we get hung up though on trying to get it perfect everytime when in reality it tastes delicious at medium also lol. I understand though. That pic on the rotisserie is stunning. Nice work bud. 82? Our low Saturday is gonna be 1°

Well said, Jake. And I personally prefer medium, so this would have been perfect for me.

I have to say Robert, thats the first time ive seen a t-bone steak on a rotisserie! It is beautiful! I stared at that picture for a while! Lol. Fantastic job sir!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky