2013 in review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heyer5

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Waukee
Hey everyone

I do a terrible job of posting pictures throughout my smokes and an even worse job of posting them here with discriptions.  I was just going through my phone and photobucket account and I realized that I had the smoker lit quite a bit this year, which is a surprise because I just didn't feel that I had a lot of free time.

While I don't have a description really on any of these smokes, what I can tell you is they were all done on my WSM 18.5", mostly with home grown apple wood and some smokes were done with Hickory chunks.  I usually stick to the basic smokes, pork butt, pork loin, and ribs.  I did one extremely large smoke this year!  If I remember right, I think I had 130 lbs of raw bone-in boston butt that turned out 83 lbs of cooked product.  This was for a local churches anniversary!  It was fun, but a LOT of time spent with the WSM cranking out the heat.  I actually did the process over three seperate days.  A Thursday, then back at it Friday and Saturday, pulled on Sunday.

Here are the pictures, ask questions if you have any and I'll try my best to remember what the occasion was!

This was my most recent smoke and my first run at turkey breast.  This was smoked at 290 degrees in the northern Iowa winter.  It was 5 degrees outside when the smoker was lit and snowing pretty darn hard for the duration of the smoke.  I did brine it, also a first for me.  It turned out very well for my first run, everyone that tried it was very pleased with how it turned out (oops, this is the pork forum, oh well!)

That was just some pulled pork, no real story behind it.  Not sure what I did it for!

Another random pp smoke that I think I finished in the oven.  I usually don't use foil pans unless I'm under time constrants and have to finish in the oven.  Looks good regardless!

One of my few rib smokes this year, which is disappointing because they are my favorite

A pork loin smoke as well, which is also one of my favorites.  They just are so juicy off the smoker compared to most times that we eat them, which is often in Iowa.  It seems every graduation or reception has pork loin done in a big roaster, which just doesn't compete well against a well smoked loin!

Anyways, that's all I could find.  I know I did several more, but like I said, I'm terrible at taking pictures!  Maybe that is a good new years resoluation for me to have between finishing my shed, my basement, my wife having our first kid, and still getting settled into our new acreage.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a safe and wonderful New Years!

Reactions: mdboatbum
Standing ovation!  Nice job. I think your New Years resolution should be to post more Qviews. We would all love to see em.

Brian

Very nice!  May the coming year be even better than the last!  
icon14.gif

Red

thanks for the kind words! I have one catering job lined up for next summer and a rf smoker to build as well. ill try to take better pictures next year! feel free to post your year in review!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky