2 Venison Shoulder Smoke and Barbacoa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eaglewing

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2008
St. Louis MO
Using this recipe as a guide only...

Got my 2 small doe front quarters... Put my sticky binder on and Fav Venison Rub from Hi Mountain

20230520_093054.jpg

20230520_093346.jpg

On the Traeger @ 250° for little over 2 hours... (smoke tube was running also)

20230520_094801.jpg

Couple hours in and they were in the mid 150s IT...
Into the Turkey Roaster @ 300° for the long covered process of meat breakdown

20230520_120140.jpg

20230520_120320.jpg

20230520_120443.jpg

Ingredients added!!!

2 hours... Starting to fall off the bone!!

20230520_144149.jpg

3 hours process COMPLETE

20230520_154713.jpg

Let's EAT!!!

20230520_160118.jpg

20230520_160122.jpg

This was AMAZING... next time no chipotle peppers, a little on the north side of too hot for the wife... She LOVED the meat.

I will make this again with no hesitation! Total was about 6 hours for the whole cook with prep and all.

Looks good and glad to see another smoker form STL. What county you harvest those shoulders from because look big.
We hunt on 100+ acres in Perryville/St. Gen, the county line goes right thru the property. Butts up to a Mark Twain forest, we see big and small.
They were actually small from a early season doe with my bow.

Reactions: BC Buck
I've never saved a bone-in shoulder like that. Might have to now. But I also might have to use roasts like this, too. I've had terrible luck smoking venison, but your method looks like it solves problems I've encountered. I am once again inspired.

Reactions: eaglewing
I've never saved a bone-in shoulder like that. Might have to now. But I also might have to use roasts like this, too. I've had terrible luck smoking venison, but your method looks like it solves problems I've encountered. I am once again inspired.

Well, I've got so many big roasts from my other buck that I was thinking this method would work again. I don't know why it wouldn't really.
One thing I will add, when they came off the smoker at 155° IT they were hard as a rock. But when wrapped and allowed to cook/steam the meat was amazing.

Not recommended for rear hind quarters from big deer, there is a gland buried deep inside that can render a serious bad taste.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I was just as surprised it turned out so good.
hi.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky