2 small pork butts or 1 big shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveman92789

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
I have a birthday party coming up & I'm bbqing 20lbs of pork. I don't really have 18+ hrs to cook this so I'm wondering if I get 2 - 10lbs pork butts if I could get it done faster than cooking a single 20lbs shoulder.

I have an offset stick burner I'll run around 250-275.

Thanks,

I was thinking so I just wasn’t sure if 20lbs of meat would take the same amount of time regardless if it’s 1 piece of meat or broken out into 2.

I was thinking so I just wasn’t sure if 20lbs of meat would take the same amount of time regardless if it’s 1 piece of meat or broken out into 2.
Nope cook time is based on size of individual cut. So if 2 butts weigh 10lbs each then plan on 10lb cook time. Doesn't matter how many you cook at once. As long as you dont over crowd the smoker. So with 2 10lb butts you are looking at roughly half the cook time of a 20lb shoulder.

Looks like you got your answer, but I'm envious if you can get whole shoulders. I have to special order, and even then it's not a guarantee. But as you know there is magic in cooking 20 to 24 hours.

EeLOD.jpg

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks like you got your answer, but I'm envious if you can get whole shoulders. I have to special order, and even then it's not a guarantee. But as you know there is magic in cooking 20 to 24 hours.

EeLOD.jpg
I can get a shoulder from IGA. They will sell you the whole hog or any cut that you want off the hog. It's the only grocery store around my area that I know handles whole animals. They are my go to for pork & beef fat when I process the deer I harvested. I'm not sure if they have the whole shoulder sitting out with all the other meats but I know you can call & ask for one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky