1st Timer How Much/Long For Actual Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcdave

Original poster
May 27, 2007
I have a gas smoker and am looking to make the 3-2-1 ribs. I have a bunch of spare ribs with some rub on them waiting to go in the fridge. can't wait!! Happy Father's Day to me!!!!!!!

My question is related not to the length of the cooking time but the amount of time the smoker needs to be well smoking. Should I keep wood smoking in that baby for all six hours or do you get the flavor after the first few or what??

Wish me luck and Happy Dad's Day to all

Whenever I do spare ribs I have "smoked" them for the first 3 hours they are un wrapped. I stop putting wood chunks when I wrap them in foil. Just keep the temp steady by adding more lump.

Good Luck!! The 3-2-1 method has worked for me everytime I have done ribs.

Don't forget the pictures!

I did the same with some baby backs I just made, after they went in the foil I didn't replace the wood. They were nice and smoky.

Yeppers - it doesn't make sense to waste wood once it's foiled. Keep your eye open. The 3-2-1 is a guide and could end up closer to 2-2-1 or something.

Main thing is to watch for the meat pulling back from the bones that's your key! When that happens wrap them in foil.

Good Luck !

Oh and spray them every half hour or so with apple juice

I concur. 3-2-1 method for ribs. I did babybacks last weekend at 2-2-1. Smoke them for the fiirst period , foil the second segment and last hour no foil. The foiled segment actually steams them and the last hour dries them a bit. Excellent system for ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky