1st time using cedar planks with salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gabe4321

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 7, 2021
Had some Salmon in the fridge and figured to try it on some cedar planks and in direct cook them on the kettle. Wife bought some salmon seasoning while in Alaska and we wanted to give it a try. Turned out pretty good. Had some corn on cob and rice pilaf to go with it.

Attachments

• 20210804_202833.jpg
    20210804_202833.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210804_194543.jpg
    20210804_194543.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Johnny Ray
Good looking salmon! Did your plank smolder? I can't tell from the picture.

I've done cedar planked salmon a few times on my Weber Genesis (gas). I place the plank directly over the flame and wait till the plank begins to smolder before placing the salmon on it, skin side down. I'm usually successful in preventing the plank from actually catching fire.

I lose the skin that way, but the flavor of the cedar smoke really complements the salmon.

What did you use for a plank? I've seen them for sale specifically for planking, but they seem pretty expensive. I buy cedar fence pickets at the local big box hardware store and cut them down to size to fit my salmon. Results are always good-tasting, but I suppose I should cross my fingers and hope there's nothing nasty in the pickets! :emoji_sunglasses:

Good looking salmon! Did your plank smolder? I can't tell from the picture.

I've done cedar planked salmon a few times on my Weber Genesis (gas). I place the plank directly over the flame and wait till the plank begins to smolder before placing the salmon on it, skin side down. I'm usually successful in preventing the plank from actually catching fire.

I lose the skin that way, but the flavor of the cedar smoke really complements the salmon.

What did you use for a plank? I've seen them for sale specifically for planking, but they seem pretty expensive. I buy cedar fence pickets at the local big box hardware store and cut them down to size to fit my salmon. Results are always good-tasting, but I suppose I should cross my fingers and hope there's nothing nasty in the pickets! :emoji_sunglasses:
No smoldering for me. I picked mine up at ace hardware. $10 for 2 of them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky