1st time making pasta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
My wife loves pasta and was having a medical procedure done today so I wanted to make dinner for her. A good friend Zippy 12 inspired and walked me through the process of making the noodles.
Started with
76E6C214-D01F-46EC-81DE-329143EB91AE.jpeg
home grown eggs. He said olive oil but all I had was Wesson or avocado. Avacado got the nod.

Mixed in the the ingredients. And formed a ball. Salt not shown but added just a bit to taste.
668B9A62-F5DB-4811-96B8-036578FCFA00.jpeg
the mixed ball before kneading and wrapping in shrink wrap for an hour rest. Forgot to take a pic of that part.
Busted out the atlas 150 and ran the dough through steps 0-8
7747D75A-29AE-4F52-973B-066752A1ECF4.jpeg
89689A26-55E5-412E-B5A5-045E5E54A10D.jpeg

Not the prettiest sheets but it worked. I tried to cut them similar in length. I was short on time as wife was coming home from Monterey and I was hoping to have dinner ready.
Zippy suggested I make an Alfredo sauce but being a pasta neophyte i relegated myself to store bought red.
He also recommended fresh grated parm cheese so I stopped at restaurant depot earlier in the day but passed on the selection as I didn’t have a cooler.
63D93B57-72F7-4782-84A0-CB9CD031552D.jpeg
850AD13B-1CE4-42DC-BA16-47A49335DA46.jpeg
went to chefs store too. Idk why but did.
Anyway I rolled the sheets and let them dry for 10 min or so then began cutting. Zippy said the thing noodles work best with red so I made the first cut thin but the wife came home at that time and wanted wide. Wide is what she got.
5303836E-A2DE-4D59-807C-B71524661FB1.jpeg
DE64C5FC-21A3-4742-9BD6-714A35324E14.jpeg

Made nests and let dry for a few min
F1835A4C-E33C-4115-9BCA-981DAFFBC1F4.jpeg
84678559-81D2-4BFE-ACCF-16638E4DC6EE.jpeg

Started a pot of salted water and a pot of genuine homage store bought sauce lol

Had some ground parm in the fridge in a small container. Not Kraft but not the fresh either.
4BD17EF0-2AF8-4FB6-8AC9-3A2299366529.jpeg
35A92763-CD70-4139-8399-AE51331746E8.jpeg

The wife loved it. She said she will never buy store noodles again lol. Oh and she wants me to make it for church potluck too. Next zippy will walk me through the Alfredo sauce. And I will work on getting Parmesan from Whole Foods.
I don’t eat a lot of pasta but this was pretty good. I think the home raised chickens yolk gives the noodles the deeper color. They took 2 min to cook In the water too. Pretty fast. Start to finish the process was around 3 hrs.

Yup, zippy gave all good advice.
The homemade pasta is a game changing home run. The best sauces are very simple and basic. I like to base layer my pasta right out of the water with fresh grated parm While it’s still hot. This is off a zester.

As far as fresh cheese goes, never buy the grated form. They put additives in it and it doesn’t melt the same. Buy the cheese in a small block and grate yourself, always better tasting than the store convenience. Fresh always, and the finish product is best, better than restaurant quality.

Reactions: flatbroke
Yup, zippy gave all good advice.
The homemade pasta is a game changing home run. The best sauces are very simple and basic. I like to base layer my pasta right out of the water with fresh grated parm While it’s still hot. This is off a zester.

As far as fresh cheese goes, never buy the grated form. They put additives in it and it doesn’t melt the same. Buy the cheese in a small block and grate yourself, always better tasting than the store convenience. Fresh always, and the finish product is best, better than restaurant quality.
that’s what zip was saying. I he sent a pic from the Whole Foods one which I will purchase.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
If you have access to Costco they have Parmigiano Reggiano that is shredded and does not contain calcium sulfate. This is the good stuff from Italy. We use it all the time.

costco_parmigiano_reggiano_01.jpg

costco_parmigiano_reggiano_02.jpg

Damn, your pasta looks great!!!

I've been making pasta for 50 yrs.
I started with my Noni / Grandma, Mom and Aunts when I was a little kid.
Next time, leave 1/3rd of the AP flour out and replace it with Semolina flour, it adds amazing texture to the noodles. I use 100% semolina flour when I make pasta, I really prefer it over the AP flour.

And yes, the farm fresh eggs really add some great color and taste to the pasta.

I don't have chickens anymore, so I buy them from the little girl down the road from us, she sells them to us for $4.00 a dozen, I give her $5.00 and a bag of Nutrena chicken feed a few times a year.

Damn, your pasta looks great!!!

I've been making pasta for 50 yrs.
I started with my Noni / Grandma, Mom and Aunts when I was a little kid.
Next time, leave 1/3rd of the AP flour out and replace it with Semolina flour, it adds amazing texture to the noodles. I use 100% semolina flour when I make pasta, I really prefer it over the AP flour.

And yes, the farm fresh eggs really add some great color and taste to the pasta.

I don't have chickens anymore, so I buy them from the little girl down the road from us, she sells them to us for $4.00 a dozen, I give her $5.00 and a bag of Nutrena chicken feed a few times a year.
Thank you. I will try out the semolina. That is awesome the neighbor girl is selling eggs. Too many kids just play video games and never go outside.

Nice work Broke! Fresh made pasta is the bomb!!!! FYI, if you do have a costco they have a block of real imported parm that is to die for.....once you have had the real stuff you will be ruined though!

PS, here is my wife's Alfredo recipe, it is really easy, the only technical part is not to get it to hot, ie it shouldn't boil.....just enough to melt the cheese and be "hot".
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/seafood-scallops-lobster-shrimp-alfredo.315306/

PS edit, sometimes she also adds some a bit of fresh Romano in as well, it adds a nice tone as well!

Nice work Broke! Fresh made pasta is the bomb!!!! FYI, if you do have a costco they have a block of real imported parm that is to die for.....once you have had the real stuff you will be ruined though!

PS, here is my wife's Alfredo recipe, it is really easy, the only technical part is not to get it to hot, ie it shouldn't boil.....just enough to melt the cheese and be "hot".
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/seafood-scallops-lobster-shrimp-alfredo.315306/

PS edit, sometimes she also adds some a bit of fresh Romano in as well, it adds a nice tone as well!
Outstanding! Thank you. I appreciate it.

Wow Flatbroke that looks delicious! Hope your better half pulls through the next journey. Nice of you to go all out like this for her. Good to see zippy12 still has a buddy also.

Hope all is well with your wife. Will keep you and her in my thoughts and prayers. Pasta looks awesome. I mean to try a keto version of homemade pasta sometime.

Hope all is well with your wife. Will keep you and her in my thoughts and prayers. Pasta looks awesome. I mean to try a keto version of homemade pasta sometime.
Thank you. I appreciate the prayers. I’d like to see a keto version.

Looks good, I'd also recommend getting one of those ravioli presses!
Ravioli's can be amazing.
Spinach and ricotta stuffing with a sage burnt butter is tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky