1st Smoker Build - Octagon Reverse Flow Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RikMart

Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Hello everyone. A week ago I began planning my first smoker build, a reverse flow octagon smoker. Began calculating the dimensions for the size of smoker I want to end up, which will definitely be a a lot bigger than my current smoker (22in WSM).
Quick Edit: Just want to add in that the design is inspired by Fatstack smokers and Shirley Fabrication smokers.

I'm interested in a 24in wide and 48in long cooking chamber made out of 0.25in thick steel. The firebox dimensions are a work in progress but will definitely be insulated( I live in Rhode Island). I used the Standard Reverse Flow Smoker Calculator to get to this design point.

This will be a challenging build for me due to the weight of the smoker and my "workshop" limitations. By workshop I mean my backyard with no lifting equipment. So I will need to make a couple of trips to get new lifting equipment that can handle the weight of the smoker. According to the CAD software the cooking chamber as shown in the image below has a weight of 500lbs.

I have a lot of questions but haven't been able to put the into words yet. Here is a cad model of the cooking chamber and the stand. Trailer axle placement is not final yet until I finish with the firebox design. The trailer wheels and casters are already on their way.

RF Flow Smoker.png

Calculations
Smoker Calculations.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
So just checked out the "fat stack smokers" They are very expensive for the quality they produce. I am a custom metal fabricator and am here to say what they are asking price wise for what they are giving you don't go together. Granted I do mostly all food and pharma stuff made from stainless, but quality workmanship goes with anything.
Personally I would look for a used 120 g vertical propane tank, unless you have access to a metal shop, you will pay a lot to have your parts fabricated at a shop and making it out of flats requires a ton of work with not the best outcome of keeping things in shape from all of the welding. I does look cool, but usually simple is best. You could achieve the same results from a rectangle and rather than using 1/4" plate go with 10 or 11ga with 1-1.5" of ceramic insulation with a 16ga outer jacket. Just some things to think about.

Below are a few projects from work

Attachments

• SAM_1356.JPG
    SAM_1356.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Pelletron Deduster 004.jpg
    Pelletron Deduster 004.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 34
  • SAM_2455.JPG
    SAM_2455.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 35
  • spraytek- dryer.png
    spraytek- dryer.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 31
  • SAM_1882.JPG
    SAM_1882.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 31
  • SAM_8990.JPG
    SAM_8990.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
Ditto what clayshooter said....given your limited fabrication resources, it would be wise to embrace the ”KISS” strategy and start with an existing tank....something in the 120-250 range will be a challenge without lifting equipment, but still doable and yet relatively safe with a little imagination and redneck improvisation .

So just checked out the "fat stack smokers" They are very expensive for the quality they produce. I am a custom metal fabricator and am here to say what they are asking price wise for what they are giving you don't go together. Granted I do mostly all food and pharma stuff made from stainless, but quality workmanship goes with anything.
Personally I would look for a used 120 g vertical propane tank, unless you have access to a metal shop, you will pay a lot to have your parts fabricated at a shop and making it out of flats requires a ton of work with not the best outcome of keeping things in shape from all of the welding. I does look cool, but usually simple is best. You could achieve the same results from a rectangle and rather than using 1/4" plate go with 10 or 11ga with 1-1.5" of ceramic insulation with a 16ga outer jacket. Just some things to think about.

Below are a few projects from work
Thanks for you input. It will be a challenge but I'm up for it. I do have basic metal fabrication experience but have never built something this heavy so I'm using it as learning experience to improve my fabrications skills. Originally I wanted to use a propane tank but everything on sale around my area is not big enough(mostly 20lbs tanks). I know for sure it will take a couple of months to finish, once I start the actual fabrication.

My only recomendation from my experience would be to move your axle on the fire box side to be under the firebox. The opposite end will be a little light other wise. Not terribly probably, but if you're going to insulate the fire box you'll have even more weight over there than I did on mine. So when you wheel it around and stuff it will be very prone to tipping.

Also, look at Lang smokers for inspiration.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky