1st smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hoosier1989 Hoosier1989 Here ya go......Deals on deals

Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hi and welcome from Central Missouri.

Thanks for posting, especially a bad experience. It will help others learn for sure.

I smoke a LOT of turkeys and have found the best size (for us) is in the 10-12 pound range. My smoker has a top temp of 275F (MES40) which still makes rubbery skin...but to fix that I finish it in the oven for about 15 minutes to crisp the skin. If you can get your smoker up to 325F or 350F, you should have really nice results.

Sooo, approximately how long would it take a 10LB bird in a MES40? Just ballpark would help.

Sooo, approximately how long would it take a 10LB bird in a MES40? Just ballpark would help.

Hi there and welcome!

At 275F smoker temp. If your smoker can actually hit that temp. I'm guessing betweenn 2.5 and 3hrs. Your skin is likely going to be leathery since poultry skin doesn't want to be edible unless cooked at higher temps, BUT the smoke flavor will be there regardless of the skin. You could always just remove the skin as well.

Last time I smoked, I finished it in the oven for 20-30 mins for crisping the skin. But that was 5yrs ago. Broke my first smoker and then there were some life issues. It's been a while.

I'm not expert like most of those giving advise, but one thing I noticed is you mentioned wood - You don't want to " burn " the wood, you want it to smolder - No flames.
You going to want charcoal for the temps, and then some chunks of the flavor woods on top to just kinda char away to produce the right smoke.

Welcome from another new member!
I can't tell you how much food I went through while learning and still rate myself a lesson in progress!
Looks like the meat turned out pretty darned good !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky