1st Ribfest Competition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Had a fun time will definitely do it again next year. There were 27 teams competing we finished towards the bottom half. The ribs were over cooked falling off the bone so that wasn't good. We cooked them unwrapped for roughly 2 hours between 230-250 spritzing every hour. Then wrapped them for 2.5 hours (too long) at the same temps great bone pull but over done. I just need to practice more used to cooking the whole spare not St. Lois style but I'll take this as a learning experience & improve for next year.

Reactions: 912smoker
Sounds like a good time !
Having fun and learning will definitely give you a leg up next time!
So whole spare rib cook ?

Keith

Gotcha. I usually but the full spares, since they are cheaper, then trim down to SL style. Also gives me a chance to try different flavor combos with the trimmings.

Keith

Gotcha. I usually but the full spares, since they are cheaper, then trim down to SL style. Also gives me a chance to try different flavor combos with the trimming.
That's a good idea I'll have to try that

And where are the pics 📸?

Keith
I made the mistake & took some on Snapchat & didn't save them to my camera roll. Here's the only one I have unfortunately.
PXL_20220924_150724133.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220924_150724133.jpg
    PXL_20220924_150724133.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky