1st prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Western Nebraska
one of my wife's friends asked me if i could do a prime rib for her, it will be a x-mas gift for one of her friends.  I told her i've never done one before but i would sure give it a try.  it's a small slab a lil over 4 lbs.  from what ive have read in the forums, smoke at 225 and give it between 50 min to an hour per pound to get it to 130 degrees. which would make it a rare cut. once it sits for about 1/2 an hour it should rise to about 135 or so which should be a lil above rare.

so far i gave the meat a quick rinse and patted it dry, than i gave it a light rub of olive oil and sprinkled on a mixture of garlic powder, black pepper, salt and a lil parsley flake and wrapped in saran wrap and placed in the fridge til noon tomorrow.

if there are any other tips...please let me know.....i will be using cherry wood for flavor in the MES 40.   Thanx

6d19e246_IMG00020-20101223-1705.jpg

ee07f5d7_IMG00022-20101223-1713.jpg

That's pretty much it. 

Prime rib is a very easy cut to work with and it's pretty hard to screw up. Because of the amount of fat in the roast you can get away with overcooking it a bit and it will still be quite tender.

Looks like a great start

Sounds pretty much perfect to me!!!

Similar to the way I do them.

Can't wait for the final pics !!!

Bear

0bd08ea1_IMG00027-20101224-1403.jpg

wow....2 hrs and 20 min into the smoke and the internal temp is at 130...i had to triple check with different temp gages...but this chunk of meat looks and smells awesome..now the wife is waiting for her friend to show up so they can take a 1/2 hour drive to deliver it..i did double wrap in foil to help the cooking process along..but i'm very impressed with how it turned out.

I don't think I could do what you're doing.

Making a beautiful Prime Rib like that & giving it away seems like a woman carrying somebody else's baby for 9 months, and then having to turn it over to them.  
icon_cry.gif

I would have to say, "I will give up my Prime Rib, only when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!"   
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Bear

Thanks Bear! You gave me my laugh for the day!
ROTF.gif

I don't think I could do what you're doing.

Making a beautiful Prime Rib like that & giving it away seems like a woman carrying somebody else's baby for 9 months, and then having to turn it over to them.  
icon_cry.gif

I would have to say, "I will give up my Prime Rib, only when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!"   
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky