1st long cook on the SmokeFire and it did not disappoint.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Majja13

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 19, 2022
Salt Lake City
This is my first long cook on my Smokefire a nice pork butt. This went about 4.5 hours on smoke boost and then 275 to an IT of about 175 wrapped it with a bit of butter and back on the pit until probe tender (200). then it rested in a warm cooler for about 2 hours. And this is one of the best Pork butts i have ever cooked.
EA2BC531-19F0-437F-AD05-96F0CC5C6E36.jpeg

Attachments

• 00F4FE66-C938-4EA1-AB65-0AC61F142603.jpeg
    00F4FE66-C938-4EA1-AB65-0AC61F142603.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 29
  • F9CFB469-530E-44AE-ACE6-B2538115E36F.jpeg
    F9CFB469-530E-44AE-ACE6-B2538115E36F.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 90042696-DCE7-4468-BC94-ADFA930FD605.jpeg
    90042696-DCE7-4468-BC94-ADFA930FD605.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 31
Nice butt! Text book cook. I'll bet that was some wonderful pulled pork.

Great color and bark Majja.
Nice job ! Did it hold.steady temps ?

Keith
it did. it was interesting watching the dual probes. one was in the center and one was toward the outside and up until the roast hit the 160’s it was consistantly 8 degrees different then they started coming together and held the same the rest of the cook.

Reactions: denny and 912smoker
Nice work . SmokeFire makes great food and looks like you have it figured out .
An oven broiler pan makes a great drip pan . It's low profile enough that it fits under the lower cooking grates . Thanks for posting .

Reactions: denny and 912smoker
An oven broiler pan makes a great drip pan . It's low profile enough that it fits under the lower cooking grates . Thanks for posting .
The more I use this pit the more I like it.

I was going to ask if it was normal to have a pan on the lower grate, good to know that you can use both cooking grates at the same time.

The more I use this pit the more I like it.
I can't stop using mine . I love it , and the food is fantastic . Have you used it as a grill yet ?
High temp grilling is awesome on this thing . Keep it clean and you won't have any issues with flare ups . I had it at 550 to do steaks . Did a great job .

As a FYI note . When you clean it , make sure you scrape out the grease channel on each side in the bottom . Even if you've used a drip pan , it will fill up with dust that could effect drainage . Grilling without a drip pan , I never had any grease build up . I've gone 2 hoppers before cleaning just so I know what's going on . No problems . Most of the dust / ash is in the clean out tray . It's a great design .

I was going to ask if it was normal to have a pan on the lower grate, good to know that you can use both cooking grates at the same time.
Yup . I have all kinds of room on the 4 .
You can see in this pic that the broiler pan from a home oven fits under the rack . I've also used it with the top for the pan , and put the meat right on that . Like you would in the house .
1661957677843.jpeg

I can't stop using mine . I love it , and the food is fantastic . Have you used it as a grill yet ?
High temp grilling is awesome on this thing . Keep it clean and you won't have any issues with flare ups . I had it at 550 to do steaks . Did a great job .

As a FYI note . When you clean it , make sure you scrape out the grease channel on each side in the bottom . Even if you've used a drip pan , it will fill up with dust that could effect drainage . Grilling without a drip pan , I never had any grease build up . I've gone 2 hoppers before cleaning just so I know what's going on . No problems . Most of the dust / ash is in the clean out tray . It's a great design .
Yea it has been used more in grill mode then smoker mode. I have not gone for any steaks on it, but have cooked a few Tri-Tips, and spatch cocked chickens, not to mention burgers and just Chicken breast pounded kinda thin for a BBQ Bacon and Cheese Chicken Sandwich that my youngest loves for dinner.

I usually scape mine out about every 3 time I use it to keep the grease at a minimum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky