1st Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
Just finished up my 1st try at dried beef. It turned out well I used Bear's recipe forgot the sugar though. Cured an eye of round with TQ for 21 days. Took it out yesterday early morning rinsed it off and gave it 30 minute soak. Sprinkled it with, CBP granulated garlic & onion powder, fired up the GMG at 150f smoked it for 10 hours at about 7 hours bumped the smoker up to 180f. Internal temp got up to 156 an d held there for an hour. The temp outside yesterday never got above 0. I then cooled it down wrapped in saran wrap and put in the fridge. This am I sliced it up with help from grandson. He enjoyed sampling it.

Out of the cure
IMG_4208.JPG

Spices on
IMG_4209.JPG

Smoker ready ambient temp -6f
IMG_4210.JPG

Just out of the GMG
IMG_4211.JPG

My helper
IMG_4213.JPG

and taster
IMG_4214.JPG

all sliced up
IMG_4215.JPG

Ready for the freezer
IMG_4217.JPG

this pic shows the iridescence
IMG_4218.JPG

Looks like it turned out great . Love the thumbs up pic ,, that's awesome .

Looks Great, Tank!!
I got the Thumb's Up from the "Trouble Maker".
I was about his age when I started eating this stuff, but mine was mostly made from Venison Hind Quarters.
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks it turned wonderful. I just did one eye of round to see how it would go. I will get some more and do it again.

Thanks it turned wonderful. I just did one eye of round to see how it would go. I will get some more and do it again.

Yup---I like to buy the Eye Round when it drops to $2.99 or less, which isn't so often nowadays.

I try to eat it sparingly, because I love it so much I could just Pig Out on it until it's gone!!

Bear

I;m gonna try your BBB next Hy-vee has bone in Hormel always tender pork sholder for .99 a pound.
0233189000000_CF_hyvee_default_thumb.jpeg

I;m gonna try your BBB next Hy-vee has bone in Hormel always tender pork sholder for .99 a pound.View attachment 389612
Make sure you read the label on that . Hormel and Smithfield sell both pumped and regular products . If it says Tender on it , it is more than likely pumped with a sodium solution . Might end up to salty . Just FYI .

Make sure you read the label on that . Hormel and Smithfield sell both pumped and regular products . If it says Tender on it , it is more than likely pumped with a sodium solution . Might end up to salty . Just FYI .
I usually buy the Hormel pork at Winco and use a low/no salt rub on it. They don't sell anything other than the brine injected stuff. Salted some chops I was grilling one time. You only make that mistake once.

Dried beef looks delicious Bigtank! I'll be watching for an eye of round sale.

Looks great can't go wrong with bears recipe. I have made dried beef a few times now. The only thing I did wrong on the first time was I only made one after r
That I filled the Bradley every time.
Congratulations on making the carasoal

Looks great can't go wrong with bears recipe. I have made dried beef a few times now. The only thing I did wrong on the first time was I only made one after r
That I filled the Bradley every time.
Congratulations on making the carasoal
Thanks its my first time on the carousel

Outstanding. Loved (liked) the "sheen" so familiar with dried beef.
I have loved dried beef for ... well since I was much younger.
Mom made SOS which even my WWII Veteran father enjoyed.

Only question that I have from this thread (and many other threads before I joined the forum)

Why do you use eye of round? I detest the course texture of eye.
Does it soften after a cure and smoke

Outstanding. Loved (liked) the "sheen" so familiar with dried beef.
I have loved dried beef for ... well since I was much younger.
Mom made SOS which even my WWII Veteran father enjoyed.

Only question that I have from this thread (and many other threads before I joined the forum)

Why do you use eye of round? I detest the course texture of eye.
Does it soften after a cure and smoke

The meat used for Dried Beef should be very lean, with very little marbling at all.
Eye Round is Perfect for that qualification.
After being cured, smoked, and slicing it real thin, it just melts in your mouth.
Other things good for Dried Beef:
Beef Bottom Round
Beef Top Round
Venison Hind Quarter
Venison Backstrap

Bear

I've had had dried venison before and it was very good. Any lean cut would work good, sirloin tip roast looks like it would be good but its usually much higher priced. I picked this eye of round at Walmart I think it was $3.99lb I don't hunt much any more but would love to see how elk or moose would work.

Just finished up my 1st try at dried beef. It turned out well I used Bear's recipe forgot the sugar though. Cured an eye of round with TQ for 21 days. Took it out yesterday early morning rinsed it off and gave it 30 minute soak. Sprinkled it with, CBP granulated garlic & onion powder, fired up the GMG at 150f smoked it for 10 hours at about 7 hours bumped the smoker up to 180f. Internal temp got up to 156 an d held there for an hour. The temp outside yesterday never got above 0. I then cooled it down wrapped in saran wrap and put in the fridge. This am I sliced it up with help from grandson. He enjoyed sampling it.

Out of the cure
View attachment 389601
Spices on
View attachment 389602
Smoker ready ambient temp -6f
View attachment 389603
Just out of the GMG
View attachment 389604
My helper
View attachment 389605

and taster
View attachment 389606
all sliced up
View attachment 389607
Ready for the freezer
View attachment 389608
this pic shows the iridescence
View attachment 389611

Looks Great. May have to give that a try with one of my venison roasts. Also curious about your slicer. What brand and model and how does it work?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky