1st dino short ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
Finally got some short ribs with some meat on them.
Took a lead from radio guy and bear on the sous vide.
Made my own rub of kosher salt, pepper, red pepper flake, paprika, and mustard seeds.
Put and extra layer of plastic (end pieces of rolls left from vacuum packing). Had to many punctures of the bone through the bags and well did not want any leaks. Let it sit in refer for 24 hours, then into the sous vide @ 136 for 60 hours. Less temp of both radioguy and bear, but time frame longer, so figured it would sort of balance out.
Can a person over do the sous vide?
Pulled and cooled water bath for ten minutes as I waited for my charcoal to even up.
Threw it on directly over coals meat side down. Holy flame out. Put lid on kettle to snuff out flames. Also closed the bottom vents left top vent open 1/2. Let it go for 8min. Did get a good char. Flipped and and after 5min slathered on some baby Rays adjusted with some Worcestershire sauce. Another 2min.
While meat rested on cutting board, sauteed some red potatoes and asparagus.
Meat was perfect for me. Medium rare and it was tender and juicy.
Kit

Attachments

• 10-27-18a.JPG
    10-27-18a.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 10-27-18b.JPG
    10-27-18b.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 10-27-18b.JPG
    10-27-18b.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 10-27-18c.JPG
    10-27-18c.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 10-27-18d.JPG
    10-27-18d.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 56
Scrumpdillyicious my man Kit. Those ribs looks meaty perfect to me.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: kit s
Excellent job on those beef ribs Kit !
I've never tried the method you used , I'll look into that more for sure..interesting .
However the frame of 60 plus hrs ?

Cheers !!

Reactions: kit s
Thanks Chili oh and fair play after your Asian night post, and yes they had a ton of meat. My jaw dropped open when the butcher brought them out. At 4.99 lbs bought half that I cooked here and one pack cryo (8 ribs) for later.
Chris thanks man, like mine on the rare side..well medium rare to rare.
Burner it is the only way to go on this type of meat if you got the lea time.
These were so meaty that I could only eat one.
kit

Reactions: Burner76
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky