1st attempt at Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well Alfakatzz, If ya donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t use cure on it, it is probably going to taste like a fatty roast pork. The cure is what gives bacon and ham that flavor. Some guys try a salt rub or brine, maybe that would get ya what you want.
wink.gif

As far as the water pan, that basically helps you control the heat in your smoker.

Thanks, Carl.

Someone posted a cure of sea salt & brown sugar, which I will try. But I'm not sure how to do it since the bacon is already cut into slices, not one 3 lb hunk. Should I just put mix equal amounts of these two items and rub them onto the sliced bacon, put everything into a zip lock bag into the refrig for week and then smoke it?

I've read this site and blog for suggestions but am still a little fuzzy on procedure.

Thanks to all.

That is a toss up there. Maybe give it a test run with a pound of it, but I think when you smoke it you are not going to have very good results since it is goign to cook quick and it would be hard to wash the cure off. I have 4 bellies curing in the fridge right now. I am using the Mortons Tender Quick cure Dry rub. It has everything in the mix. It is dry curing for two weeks in the fridge and will do a cold smoke on sat til it hits 140 degrees, then fridge over night and slice the next day then pan fry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky