1st Andouille in the smoker. (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papa chops

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
Modesto California
I did the Nola Cuisine recipe. turned out really good. I knife cut half the shoulder in 1/4-1/2in pieces. I didnt have straight thyme so i used what's called Zaatar a middle eastern blend with a lot of thyme some rosemary and sesame. I got a new Weston 5lb stuffer Waaaaaay nicer than the kitchen aid. I think I actually have a chance at making some descent sausages. Im very excited!!! I smoked these in my fridge smoker. I put a smokedaddy on it that's making my life easier as well. I used Hickory chips instead of the traditional pecan, just because its what I had. I think I read the two woods are in the same family any way. I dried them at 130 deg. for about an hour and a 1/2. Then I bumped it up to about 150/160 for the remainder. took about 5 hrs for the 5lbs of sausage. I did cure them overnite before I smoked them. Im happy with the color and texture. the knife cuts really are worth it imo. Hope You enjoy the pics and thanks for checking them out.

Papa Chops, those look good to me.  I think I am finally going to order a grinder today and that is the first recipe I want to try.  

What did you think of the spice levels?

Last edited:
Reactions: papa chops
PC, morning.... the dewey looks awesome... I'll try that recipe next batch.....

Dave
Hey thanks Dave. Hope You Like It
icon14.gif

I made up 20 lbs of the NOLA recipe last week. I add double the red pepper flakes and 2 TBS cayenne to kick it up a bit. I also think that fresh thyme is the key. The first time I made them, I used dried / ground thyme and I thought it was overpowering. Love the texture when you cube up 1/3 to 1/2 of the pork - very course grind on the remaining.

Hey Papa,

Looks great! I love the texture, and I am in admiration of your nicely shaped sausage rounds. I was going for that look with some kielbasa I recently made, but didn't make it. Your's look fabulous!

Thanks for a great post!
Clarissa

Hey Papa,

Looks great! I love the texture, and I am in admiration of your nicely shaped sausage rounds. I was going for that look with some kielbasa I recently made, but didn't make it. Your's look fabulous!

Thanks for a great post!
Clarissa
Thanks SnorkelingGirl! I hung the rounds overnight in the smoker to cure (It was a good 35 deg. outside give or take). Im sure it helped shape the rings getting that extra hang time on the hooks. Maybe give that a shot. Thanks for lookiN. Oh and ur Kielbasa looking good too. I checked it out the other night lol. 
xrocker.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky