15 Gallon Barrel Cooker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lionspaw

Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Just finished another 15 gallon drum smoker/cooker. Bought a new drum from Sportsman's Guide, punched a large hole for an inlet, couple of holes for re-bar/exhaust, set of handles, Weber accessory holder, 12"pizza pan and 10" fry basket for a coal basket/ash catcher, bought the hooks from PBC company (They are the best hooks in my opinion) along with a few other items (Vertical skewers, all baskets, turkey hangar, gloves, coffee cups) and made one really good smoker. Can get about 4 hours out of a smoke, if i use the 12" fry basket, i can get 6 hours using lump charcoal. This size is perfect for up to 6 to 10 people. It is a miser on charcoal and holds a temp of about 250. I do not burn out the barrel, i will do about 4 good smokes to coat and season the inside. The drum does not get that hot on the outside to burn the paint.

Last edited:
20180120_212031.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't you worried about toxins from the paint on the inside?
Hi, no, the paint will be baked on after a few smokes and heat, the smoke coatings will form a barrier, these are new barrels, now if they had toxic materials stored in them, i would not use them

Hi, no, the paint will be baked on after a few smokes and heat, the smoke coatings will form a barrier, these are new barrels, now if they had toxic materials stored in them, i would not use them
It is easy to remove the liner, we have used a strong paint stripper ( the one from Rust O aircraft remover), scrub it out with soap and water, then a triple rinse, dry, then a coat of coconut oil

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky