100s of hours wasted

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
For many many years I've used 3-2-1 for pork ribs. I just tried 2-2-1 on a slab of baby backs and I'll swear that I can't tell any difference. The wife loved them too so I will call that a win.

IMG_1364.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah I like the fact it's a good starting point but my ribs ALWAYS ALWAYS run different times even for the same lb and kind. I usually look around the two hour mark at the crust then when I do the wrapped, I do butchers paper and usually only an hour. I then put em on naked to firm em ep or sauce em from 30 to 45 mins

Reactions: kelbro
For many many years I've used 3-2-1 for pork ribs. I just tried 2-2-1 on a slab of baby backs and I'll swear that I can't tell any difference. The wife loved them too so I will call that a win.

View attachment 648462
Nice, good lookin ribs there!

I gave up on foiling ribs once I tried SmokinAl SmokinAl 's method.
He puts a meat probe in the center without stabbing all the way through and finds his bite off the bone texture at 195F Internal Temp (IT) of the meat.

I run mine to an IT of 198F and unwrapped the whole time. I still check for tenderness before I pull them off but 99% of the time they are ready to pull off and eat!

No more 3-2-1, 2-2-1, 2-39-495-494 for me since then :D

Last edited:
+1 I’m starting to notice that I can clearly see that the meat is done but I stick to a “method” I read online(that always involves a time schedule) and will usually ends up with the meat being improperly smoked. It’s nice to see people here advocating for a sensory process to the smoke rather than a scientific. I’ve always felt that cooking was more “organic” than Science. If that makes any sense

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
When I was a newbie, SmokinAl SmokinAl method of perfect ribs everytime really improved my rib game! Since then my go to is hot and fast, no wrap... love em and so easy. Even done them from frozen as well. Best way is to check them by temp, depending on if you want some bite or fall off the bone. And that's not a fools errand.

Ryan

I may try probing them one day. 3-2-1 was the 'Easy button' for me like 14hrs at 225 for a brisket and it always worked. Temp probes have been a game changer for me on pork, turkey and chicken. Makes sense that it would work on ribs too.

Reactions: 801driver
A fine looking rack of ribs you got there! I wrapped once and wound up with FOTB, which I consider a failure, haven't tried that since. I go along with Edge and Tallbm pretty much, when they are done, they're done. All I do are full racks of spares, get a clean bite around a IT of 198º, toothpick probe tells me when to pull. I like the snake method with the Weber, usually 6-7 hours, seen them done in five a couple of times. RAY

I just kinda wing it depending on the cooker and the ribs and whatever my wife wants that day. It's all good. Smoke/Cook to color. Wrap in foil. Cook to tenderness. Then glaze or not, depending on what my wife wants that day. Sometimes I do Rendezvous ribs on the Weber with the rotisserie ring and grate on top of that, about 18 inches off the coals, mop with vinegar sauce, half hour each side, no smoke, no wrap. Sprinkle rendezvous seasoning at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelbro and JLeonard
I've never had a cooker that would do 225, so all that 3-2-1, 2-2-1, etc. went out the window a long time ago. I've cooked enough ribs now to just go with my gut and a "bend" test....
I've cooked enough I should be able to tell by the bend test now...as a newbie, not so much. Before SMF it was bone fall out removing from the crock pot...I shudder at that thought now! I think now the only thought going through my head is... gonna be nummy! Lol

Ryan

Reactions: kelbro and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky