100 Gallon Reverse Flow w/ vertical box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedstanley

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Taunton, Ma
I am planning on building a smoker on a small trailer. I want to do a reverse flow with two racks in the main chamber and four 16X22.5 in the box above the Firebox with two four inch stacks exciting. The firebox is going to be 1/4 and the box above will be 3/16 thick. This is a sketch of the basic dimensions. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. As it turned out the tank was 24" dia when I picked it up. the door is 49" long by 21". Does anyone see any issues with flow or temp control with the end box being on top of the firebox?

Got a good amount done today, finished welding in the rf plate with a 3/4" drain. Filled it with water and had a couple small leaks the first time around. Welded on the main door counter weight, and toggle clamps. Finished welding the vertical box and fire box to the main chamber. In stalled the fire box and vertical cabinet doors and made the latches and vent handle. Finished welding the front shelf on topping it with a leftover piece of expanded stainless. Hoping to clean the tank tomorrow and get a coat of paint on the smoker and then start working on finishing the trailer.

Finished installing the grates. There is 2,040 sq. inches in the main chamber and 1,440 sq. inches in the vertical cabinet for a total of 24 sq. feet of cooking capability. All the grates are in channels. So far with the trailer, steel, and misc I am up to $650 on the build.  During the first burn the temps were only 5-10 degrees different from the main chamber to the vertical cabinet. Now I just need to learn the ins and outs of how it acts. 

Did my first cook in the new smoker. 14 hours on an 11 pound picnic and 8 hours on a 5 pound pastrami. Over all I think it was a success. The shoulder was a little drier than usual , but I was kinda expecting it to be since I didn't make a water tray. The pastrami is amazing. definitely contemplating adding a removable water pan through the side of the fire box, so I can fill it throughout the smoke easier. 

Just realized I forgot to post pictures of the smoker. (I would say done but there are always more things to do) I did a decent cook on it over the weekend with an 11# brisket (13hrs), 3 shoulders (15hrs), and 3 whole chickens (4 1/2 hrs) cut in half in the vertical and I had 8 racks of St.louis ribs (5 1/2 hrs) in the vertical and everything was great. There was plenty of room for more and I didn't use any rib racks this time, just 2 slabs per shelf and rotated the shelves a few times. Sorry no pics, my wife tripped, and broke her wrist. Pictures were the last thing on my mind. 

Nice job Stan, really looks good. I know you are proud.

Gary S

That is one nice smoker.  I really liked how you made the storage top convert to a table.  Nice work.  Where can  get one? lol

Thank you Rob. Who knows, if you were serious I could entertain the possibility of another build. 
33.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky