Yay...The Freezer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For simplicity I prefer chest, no defrost cycle so none of those parts to fail, food lasts longer in a chest, less electricity with a chest, got 1 in the basement that came with the house, cools great for a 50 year old chest freezer, I could run 5 new units, it pulls almost 5amp. new will be a little less than 1 , milk crates in a chest freezer makes life easier. I haven't used the old 1 in 20+ years but plugged it in awhile back for a few and still cools good.

Reactions: Florida Chris
PS don't put stuff on the top or sides of a upright, most of the time the condenser coil is on the outside skin, it needs to get air to it

Reactions: Fueling Around
Question for those choosing upright over chest freezers.

Aren't most (or all) uprights frost-free? Meaning they have a defrost cycle to keep the frost levels down?

When I was shopping this seemed to be the theme so I went with a chest. I didn't want my food continuously warming and cooling just to keep some ice off the sides.

With the chest I just keep food in totes according to certain categories and usage. Beef, fish, venison, veggies, etc. I put the most used on top and just pull them out if I need something down lower.
I have 2 uprights, so they don't take up any more (or little more) space than a chest freezer.
Convenience, floor space, and self-defrost, is why I bought them.
Don't know for a fact, but I wouldn't think the defrost cycle would run long enough to defrost anything in the freezer.

While the defrost cycle wont defrost things it will add heat to the inside that will make the food temps run up and down, that is what helps pull moisture out and cause the dreaded freezer burn. as the units age the temp sensors and defrost bimetals loose some accuracy and cause bigger swings. retired from sears in November , started in 98 and worked on a lot of fridge and freezers, even vac seal foods suffer as it pulls the moisture out of the product but stays in the bag.

Thanks Chopsaw, they have 5=6000 tecs left, very few stores , the guy that owns it will sell them at some point, he has about stripped all the $$ out of the sears/kmart , sold the craftsmen and kenmore names, you can buy those at hardware stores or lowes stores now.

Reactions: chopsaw
What size is that one? I'm wanting to get rid of my chest freezer and get one like this.

Jim
Out of curiosity, Jim, why move from the chest to an upright? Personally, I prefer the upright for a particular reason. That said, The Better 9/10ths wants a chest version.

Reactions: JLeonard
For me, a chest freezer becomes a treasure chest after a few years. Once you start filling, you tend to forget things towards the bottom, and then, when digging for something else, you find treasure from a few years ago!

Out of curiosity, Jim, why move from the chest to an upright? Personally, I prefer the upright for a particular reason. That said, The Better 9/10ths wants a chest version.
Well, things seem to migrate to the bottom and I forget they are in there. I feel I can keep an upright more organized. And I hate standing on my head getting stuff off of it. And it’s about on its last leg.

Jim

Reactions: mr mac
We have 1 upright freezer and 3 medium sized chest freezers. Do inventory on chest freezers a couple times a year. Upright is in back porch so it's close. 2 chests in garage and 1 in shop so everything is spread out... if we lose a freezer we don't lose all of our corn or all of our deer burger.

Ryan

I prefer an upright and thankfully my 20+ year old unit at home is old school without defrost.
Pain in the ass to defrost, but I'm not giving it up.
I detest chest type for the lost and forgotten. They are far more efficient, which they need to be for the amount of time it takes to find anything in them with the lid open.
For simplicity I prefer chest, no defrost cycle so none of those parts to fail, food lasts longer in a chest, less electricity with a chest, got 1 in the basement that came with the house, cools great for a 50 year old chest freezer, I could run 5 new units, it pulls almost 5amp. new will be a little less than 1 , milk crates in a chest freezer makes life easier. I haven't used the old 1 in 20+ years but plugged it in awhile back for a few and still cools good.
Mike
When and why did upright freezers go with frost free?
Is this user driven or did the yellow sticker drive it because frost laded uprights aren't efficient?

We have 1 upright freezer and 3 medium sized chest freezers. Do inventory on chest freezers a couple times a year. Upright is in back porch so it's close. 2 chests in garage and 1 in shop so everything is spread out... if we lose a freezer we don't lose all of our corn or all of our deer burger.

Ryan
Can you bite the bullet and go for a walk in freezer in the shop?
That would be my ultimate cold storage.

Can you bite the bullet and go for a walk in freezer in the shop?
That would be my ultimate cold storage.
That would be awesome to have! Especially during 50 degree weather during deer hunting season in December at times! If we add on a single story addition to house for a bedroom as we get older we would add a walk out basement... wife didn't say no to a walk in cooler in the basement!

Ryan

I have worked on frost free freezers from the 50's, not sure the year it started but well before I was born, you can leave the lid open for a hour or 2 with a chest and not lose as much as a 1 minute door opening on a upright, cold air wont fall out of a chest freezer but will on a uprite, it takes awhile to remove the heat after opening the door,

I have worked on frost free freezers from the 50's, not sure the year it started but well before I was born, you can leave the lid open for a hour or 2 with a chest and not lose as much as a 1 minute door opening on a upright, cold air wont fall out of a chest freezer but will on a uprite, it takes awhile to remove the heat after opening the door,

I never considered that! Very good point!

you can leave the lid open for a hour or 2 with a chest and not lose as much as a 1 minute door opening on a upright, cold air wont fall out of a chest freezer but will on a uprite, it takes awhile to remove the heat after opening the door,
With an upright and on a warm day, the vacuum effect on the door as the heated air (lost cold air) recools is pretty noisy. That is why it so important to keep the door seals clean and in good condition on an upright.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky