Injury Time-Out Blackened Filets (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Robert, I admittedly didnt read the entire story and jumped straight to the steak pics....

Hope you are healing up quick!! Sounds like it was a rough few days.

And that dirt rub…does that have coffee in it?
Justin, my apologies sir. I missed this in my previous reply. No coffee. It is activated charcoal and an array of spices to bring some nice flavor. I'd tried several of the dirt rubs, including the Carnivore Black but they all fell short in flavor so I put together a recipe on my own. I suppose coffee could be added though. I do kinda like the idea to be honest. I put coffee in my spicy Italian red sauce and I know a lot of people do use it in BBQ rubs.

Robert

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Justin, my apologies sir. I missed this in my previous reply. No coffee. It is activated charcoal and an array of spices to bring some nice flavor. I'd tried several of the dirt rubs, including the Carnivore Black but they all fell short in flavor so I put together a recipe on my own. I suppose coffee could be added though. I do kinda like the idea to be honest. I put coffee in my spicy Italian red sauce and I know a lot of people do use it in BBQ rubs.

Robert
I like making my own rubs too. Also, I have nothing but respect for you! Appreciate you and what you do.

I like making my own rubs too. Also, I have nothing but respect for you! Appreciate you and what you do.
Thank you Justin. I truly appreciate that. Over the past several years I've put together quite an array of different rubs and spice mixes. If you think you might be interested in any of them, just say the word. I'll let you know what I have and send the recipe if you want.

Robert

Steaks and shrooms look awesome Robert. Sorry about the foot and I feel your pain! Several years back I was swimming to close to a thunderstorm. Lightning struck close by and scared the hell out of me. Out of pool and took off running barefoot across an old deck and kicked a nail head through my foot longways........16 stitches in the bottom of my foot
Thanks so much Jake. Scary story right there!! I had a similar situation with a nail that required a bit of medical attention but nothing like what you did. That must have hurt like Hell!!
WOW, Just WOW! Looks so good!
Thank you Dave. I saw your other reply and appreciate the well-wishes. Hope you're healing also...but yours was a LOT worse than mine.
I can't do shrooms , but the beef looks fantastic .
Nice work .
Appreciate it Rich. Tracy isn't a fan of mushrooms either but she tore up the steak and taters.

Robert

When I was 14 I helped tear down an old house. I stepped on a huge nail same way, up through the shoe, my foot and out the top. Tetanus shot and damn it hurt. I feel for you. Food looks awesome!! Love what you did with the portabella. Added it to my list to sub in cauliflower turnip mash. Steaks are perfect like usual!!
Thanks so much my friend. I do love those portabella mushrooms and I bet your keto version would be incredible!! Can't wait to see what you put together.
Great Looking Beef, Robert!!
Sorry about the Tootsie, but now you brought back some bad memories!!
I don't even know how many times I got nails in my feet. Never having good shoes when I was a Kid didn't help much!
Thank you Bear. Being that we led similar lives when younger I had a feeling we'd hear from you with the same experience :emoji_wink: Appreciate the kind words sir.
That's an awesome looking meal! And I love the shrooms...gonna have to try them for sure! I'll try to stop drooling over them!
They are good Ryan!! I thought that might get your attention :emoji_laughing:
Bet that shot in the ass was alot of fun as well!
Dude...it was like getting a shot of roofing tar that was slightly thinned down with turpentine. It hurt like Hell for 3 days.

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Definitely hasn’t hurt the perfection of your meals. Love the Tracy photobomb with the requisite pool beer.
Thanks Jim!! I didn't even see Tracy back there when I took the pic.
Could Tracy have been out of beer and needed another? Because if you blow up that picture, it appears that she is throwing fire towards you.
I hadn't noticed until you said this but it actually looks like the flame is coming out of the beer bottle. Kinda creepy if you ask me. Never had a flaming beer before :emoji_laughing:
No mushrooms for me that that steak looks perfect. I like the color of the rub reminds me of hardcore carnivore
Thank you. The rub is kind of a spoof on the Hardcore Carnivore. I tried it and liked the concept but it was lacking flavor. I put this together with a similar base but amped up the flavor considerably.

Robert

That looks like a fantastic meal! Interesting way to do the mushrooms, will have to try that out sometime. Glad to hear the foot is on the mend
Very muck appreciate it, on all counts. A 20 minute drive and you too can sit down to a nice steak dinner :emoji_wink:
Excellent job Robert! Glad to hear your foot is on the mend.
Thanks Steve. Even now, a week later, it's still hit or miss. I'd have thought by now it'd be completely healed but still fighting it.
Robert you have a sense of humor.....ie in your pic titled “nailed it”.....I’m glad it was a pick of the tenderloin and not the foot! Cause the TL looked perfect, but I’m sure the foot not so much! Lol
So you caught that :emoji_wink: Yes, it was the tenderloin and not the foot. That had already been nailed...and still hurts like heck a week later.
thanks for the momentary foot pain memory just reading that!
My pleasure sir. Any time you need a graphic trip down memory lane, just say the word :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: civilsmoker
Hi Robert I just saw this as I am trying to catch up on a lot of posts I have missed because of work :(
But have to keep Mona happy so I must keep working.

I just responded to your other post for the Dr. Flo cook. when I relished you hurt yourself.
Sorry to hear but glad you are on the mend . Thanks to good friends .

This is another good meal , love the mushroom caps with the mashed and gravy. Very cool idea. Wish I had thought of that, ha ha

David

I read your most recent post first. Now I know the particulars. It sounds like a close call with that nasty infection. Yikes!

The meat is always perfect at your house. And I always learn or see something new. I love the portobello potato wells. What a great idea.

Wow...running way behind here with a few of you folks.
Anyone have a map to Texas? Arkansas to Texas to be more specific, Thinking about heading that way.
Just drive south Justin. Give me an ETA and I'll meet you at the border :emoji_laughing:
Justin with your luck. Abbot would have the border patrol pick you up and put you on a bus to Washington DC.
Nah, Abbott moves WAY too slow to get to the border before Justin does. Plus I'll be there to thwart and extradition efforts.
Hope you are healing up quick!! Sounds like it was a rough few days.
Thanks Dave. A bit late here but things are finally coming along. Was pretty sore for a couple weeks but I think it's under control now.

Robert

Hi Robert I just saw this as I am trying to catch up on a lot of posts I have missed because of work :(
But have to keep Mona happy so I must keep working.

I just responded to your other post for the Dr. Flo cook. when I relished you hurt yourself.
Sorry to hear but glad you are on the mend . Thanks to good friends .

This is another good meal , love the mushroom caps with the mashed and gravy. Very cool idea. Wish I had thought of that, ha ha
Very much appreciate it Dave. I'm kinda running behind on this one also. The portabellas have been in the rotation for a long time. I just don't make them very often due to Tracy not being a fan of mushrooms. I love them though!! I might be heading to NY in a week and a half. Took a look at where I was going in relation to where you are in hopes of dropping in but it's a long drive and I'll be on a tight time frame. Bummer but it was worth a look.
The meat is always perfect at your house. And I always learn or see something new. I love the portobello potato wells. What a great idea.
Thanks so much Sven. The little I know about cooking in general and specifically where meat is concerned was learned here. Just trying to pass on what the good folks here have passed on to me. Give the portabellas a shot. They are amazing....if you don't drop them onto the counter :emoji_laughing:

Robert

due to Tracy not being a fan of mushrooms.
I the same as Tracy with the mushroom's , I can take them or leave them. Now Mona on the other hand could eat them everyday.

NY in a week and a half. Took a look at where I was going in relation to where you are in hopes of dropping in
Nice thought , but a 17 hour detour than back 17 hours. I understand this time, :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_laughing: :emoji_thumbsup: .
Same as us , I have always wanted to tour Texas, lots of history there that I would love to see.

David

( ps: I also heard some people have pools of inspiration in their yards with floating Margarita bars, just saying )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky