Wood stove for smokehouse?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BayouDude

Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
New to the forum and am in the early stages of planning a smokehouse build. I was wondering if a wood stove set lower than the house with the exhaust piped into the smokehouse would work for a firebox? just looking for something a little easier and quicker than a buried flue pipe and masonry fire box. Also what does everyone do to manage the drippings in the bottom of the smokehouse? Planning to use a concrete floor and raise up the house foundation with cinderblocks.

I am not an expert by any means. I was going to do just this before I went with direct heat. I was very worried about loosing to much heat. When I was looking into doing it and may still, I was going to insulate the pipe.

Heat loss is my biggest fear with the wood stove. If I raise the floor enough or find a decent slope at the property I should be able to get the house high enough above the stove to at least bury/insulate the pipe shortly after I 90 it off the stove. I also like the fact that this project may take place at my hunting property so I can also use the stove for cooking without smoking meat. Thinking of using replacement bbq grates for the racks unless I can find a good deal on some oven racks. I have a welder but would like a less labor intense solution for this project.

New to the forum and am in the early stages of planning a smokehouse build. I was wondering if a wood stove set lower than the house with the exhaust piped into the smokehouse would work for a firebox? just looking for something a little easier and quicker than a buried flue pipe and masonry fire box. Also what does everyone do to manage the drippings in the bottom of the smokehouse? Planning to use a concrete floor and raise up the house foundation with cinderblocks.
Really haven't looked thru this , but might be of interest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky