Wood Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joesuits4

Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Johnston, Iowa
I have some hickory left over from a year ago that I bought for the fireplace.  It has been stored in the shed out of the elements.  Would this wood be okay to use in my stick burner?  I've always burned lump since I got the Oklahoma Joe 16" offset.  Though I might take stab at 100% wood.

Thanks!

Joe

OH YEA  just use small splits so you can keep the fire under control. 

I have the same smoker and a small fire with smaller splits is the best way to keep temps regulated.  You may consider starting with a bed of charcoal to keep the fire even and add wood till you have a good bed of coals.  Then go with straight wood.  You need to have a good hot bed of coals to get the wood burning rapidly and prevent the thick white smoke that comes from poor combustion.

Very good Alblancher,you did your homework well. Yes,Joesuits. You'll love the difference i taste.
drool.gif

I am a dedicated Stickburner (I do use gas to start) , but watch my grate temp. for changes and adjust as needed. You should as Al said, use smalish pieces warmed on the top of your SFB and introduced to the "Ember-Bed" in a way it will almost catch fire immediately. You will be able to hold 225*f easy this way and a lot less white smoke,just remember to LEAVE the exhaust closed and change the intake in small increments."PATIENCE" is the answer...IMHO
biggrin.gif

Have fun and....................

OldSchoolBBQ

Thanks for the creds,  but did you mean to say leave the exhausts "closed"?  I would highly recommend leaving the exhausts fully open so you don't get stale smoke.  At least that is what I have learned and been doing.

How many sticks would you recommend putting in the firebox to start with?  Also, how many would you suggest adding at a time there after?

It depends on how large the splits are and how you are doing on your temps.  Better to add 1 or 2 sticks at a time then to overload it, get a bunch of thick white smoke and then once it catches fire have a temp spike that you will have to fight to bring down.  Take you time,  briefly opening the fire chamber is less of a problem then opening your smoke chamber and losing all your heat.

Better to go a bit slow then overload.

Hickory has a high BTU rating and will result in an excellent coal base.

Small chunks or splits as suggested

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky