wings?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by jerseydrew, Sep 14, 2013.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Smoking Fanatic

this will be my first time with wings what i was thinking was brine for 20 minutes to half hour, dry season,  smoke @ 250 for 1.5 hours, more seasoning then pop on hot grill for a few min to crisp up, then serve. 

anything wrong with my plan?

2. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yeah, don't forget the hot sauce and you gotta show us the money shots

3. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I did some last nite!  They turned out great!

Just rubbed the wings....and popped them in for about 1.75 hours.  No need to crisp the skin....pellet smoker was set at 275*....came out perfect!

Kat

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Smoking Fanatic

went and picked up some desert heat dry seasoning from Buffalo Wild Wings today. 

i hope these come out ok, does anyone see anything wrong with my targeted process above?

5. njfoses

njfoses Meat Mopper

I would skip the brining.  I dont feel it helps for wings.  The rest sounds good!

6. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

275 degrees...........[​IMG]..

7. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

wings I like to toss them in a big SS bowl and shake whatever seasoning I am wanting that day on them and mix well with a wooden spoon great to allow them to sit over night or a few hours then in the smoker.

8. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Agreed. 275-300 then finish on a hot grill to crisp.

9. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

They won't be on long then, so not much smoke flavor. I tend to do them at 220º, more time in the smoke, then to the hot grill for crisping.

10. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Drew, your process sounds fine. However at the end you may have to make the call as to whether or not you want to crisp them up on the grill. Try one straight out of the smoker...if it's to your liking, you're good. If not, toss on the grill for a few minutes. It won't hurt anything.

12. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

or finishing under the broiler in the kitchen works fine.

13. Man these sure do sound good. Dumb question though, Do you guys and gals use frozen wings or fresh?

If fresh, where can you get a bunch of them?

Thanks, I really need to try smoking wings.

14. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have used both, each were good.

15. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

Look around at some of the trucks driving in and out of your favorite store, there will be a poultry truck showing up, we have 2 poultry plants close, one is maybe an hour away and the other is 2 minutes down the road the last ones I bought were in 10 pound bags and were 43.00 a case of 2 heck I bought 20 pounds of thighs for 13.00 wings are the most expensive thing he sells, the one guy there told me I remember when no one wanted them we threw them out.

Check your yellow pages for poultry plants or sales.

16. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

How about filling out the location in your profile so we can see where you can get some.......... Any food store chain should carry fresh chicken wings... I prefer them over the frozen......http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/103041/hickory-smoked-chicken-wings-with-q ................................. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133848/oak-smoked-chicken-wings-on-a-open-pit

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  17. Done, Thanks I did not realize I hadn't completed the profile.

I suspect places like Costco should carry them and I will look next time.

I guess I am just used to seeing frozen wing sections.

18. humdinger

Don,
    I know Sam's carry's fresh wings (about $2.50/lb in my area) but my Costco doesn't (at least I haven't seen them). A quick google maps search of your location shows a few butcher options. Shawn's Quality Meats & Smokehouse, Green Valley Meats & Mini Market, & Lind's Custom Meats all sound like decent options. Good luck.

19. Thanks Humdinger,

I will give Sam's down in Auburn a try tomorrow. Green Valley meats is only about 8 miles away so I will hit them up also.

Thanks again,

Don

20. humdinger

No problem. Glad I could help. I like going to actual butchers and chatting meats with them if they're not busy.