WINGS..Sometimes you just have to fry them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Sorry in advance for not having a lot of pictures.. Didnt plan on sharing this but figured hey why not??

Its just been to dang windy and cold for me to want to mess with the smoker lately... And I was really craving some wings..... And I wanted them fried!!... Normally I just drop them right in the fryer "naked"... But this time I wanted crispy crunchy wings.. So I did them like I do my fried chicken for family get togethers..

First step...
Straight AP flour

Second step
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1 TBSP seasoning salt
1 can cheap light beer( or club soda)

Third step
2 cups flour
1 TBSP salt
1 tsp celery salt
1 TBSP paprika
1 TBSP cayenne pepper
1.5 TBSP garlic powder
0.5 TBSP onion powder

Coat in the plain flour then the egg/beer mix then into the seasoned flout mix. Drop into 350° oil. Wings take about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Super crispy chicken.....yum!!

0124221934_HDR~2.jpg
0124221934~2.jpg

Sure hit the spot!! Thanks for taking a look!

HAHA DUDE nice... I have to admit I stop at KFC once a week to get an extra crispy 3 piece of white meat and some of that yummy slaw lol. Bout the price of a burger meal and it last me two nights . I might try your's some time thighs and make my own. nothing besides the flour though no bread crumbs or nothin? ty for shARING

Those look amazing! Definitely book marking to try, I’ve never had much luck at frying, but you got me convinced!

Man Travis...those look amazing! The heck with Popeyes, I'm going to your house!

Ryan

Ah man, that looks like some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever seen! Did you sauce them?

Wings are the BOMB! Yours look great,

I remember as a kid growing up in a steel mill town in Pittsburgh PA. A poultry shop in town had actual live chickens in cages displayed where you could choose which one you preferred. It would be taken in the back and processed as you waited.

In those days the wings were given away for free. Try asking for free wings today. . .LOL!

Did I mention that yours look great?

John

Last edited:
HAHA DUDE nice... I have to admit I stop at KFC once a week to get an extra crispy 3 piece of white meat and some of that yummy slaw lol. Bout the price of a burger meal and it last me two nights . I might try your's some time thighs and make my own. nothing besides the flour though no bread crumbs or nothin? ty for shARING
Thanks!, yep just the flour. Three stages.. Make sure you use beer or club soda.. The carbonation is the key factor here... Ive done both but usually use beer. One1 for the chicken and 8 for me 😂

Wow! You nailed it. Those look fantastic. Wings have always been my favorite part of the bird. Great job.
Thanks! Yep wings and thighs for me!!
Those look amazing! Definitely book marking to try, I’ve never had much luck at frying, but you got me convinced!
Thanks! Its worth trying out!
Man Travis...those look amazing! The heck with Popeyes, I'm going to your house!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! You'll have to fight off the boys! They go crazy over wings! Lol!
Those look absolutely fantastic.
Thanks doug!
Great looking wings Travis, I love fried food, just don't do it enough

David
Thanks David ! Me too! I usually dont fry in the house... But couldnt resist this time!
Nice and crunchy!
yep! Nice for a change.. I havent had fried chicken in forever and this hit the spot!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Ah man, that looks like some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever seen! Did you sauce them?
Thanks!.. Yep I sauced mine.. I didn't toss them just drizzled over top so theybwouldnt loose the crispness. Local bar has what they call "all sauce".. So that's what i did on mine. Garlic butter, buffalo, and sweet baby rays. Its a killer combo!

Wings are the BOMB! Yours look great,

I remember as a kid growing up in a steel mill town in Pittsburgh PA. A poultry shop in town had actual live chickens in cages displayed where you could choose which one you preferred. It would be taken in the back and processed as you waited.

In those days the wings were given away for free. Try asking for free wings today. . .LOL!

Did I mention that yours look great?

John
Thanks John ! I remeber buying wings in a giant bag at a local processing place. Something like $0.20 per lb.. Then all the sports bars got them popular.. I usually cut up about 5 birds at a time. That gets me a bag of 10 drums and 10 flats. Thats enough for me and the boys. And way cheaper!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky