New Sourdough Starter To Try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Seen this from a German lady, said it how her grams started back in Germany.

I gotta try it while I'm in GA.

1 cup buttermilk (active cultured)
1 dash water, 1 Tbsp filtered or bottled.
2-3 Tbsp white flour or white rye flour. (she didnt say what kind or brand of white flour) I have white rye going to use.
1/2 tsp caraway seed.

Combine buttermilk, water, flour, and caraway seeds in a glass jar
(or in another non-reactive container.

Adjust the ingredients so that your starter has a thick pancake batter-like consistency. Stir vigorously.

Lightly cover and leave in warm, undisturbed spot. Check every day for progress. You can also stir it.
Depending on the environment (temperature, moisture, wild yeasts), this can take about 5-10 days.

Your sourdough starter is ripe when it has a pleasant sour smell and is bubbly and foamy. You can also drop a bit of water in and stir....not too much water

So, once it gets ripe, is it meant to use all of it, or do you start doing normal feedings then ?

So, once it gets ripe, is it meant to use all of it, or do you start doing normal feedings then ?
Normal feeds if that your thing. Mine I dont feed 2x daily like most do.
Keep the caraway in, you won't notice if they get in your next bake.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I only do twice a day when starting out until I get some good bubbles and smell, which I did with this batch.
Now it is in the SD Home at 41f and will stay there until mid-December when we get back.
Will start feeding it again then and use it as soon as it is ready.

Sounds similar to a Czech poolish/starter that my grandma used for SD rye bread. Cultured buttermilk has a lot of the same goodies in it that we develop in a regular starter.

Reactions: bill ace 350
Sounds interesting, where do you keep your starter this time of year?
Our water heater and furnace are in an inside closet, so I place mine on top of the W.H. to keep it nice and warm, it goes crazy in the warm closet.
My Noni, did the same with her starter, she rarely used yeast, everything was made with her starter. I wish I had a blob of her old starter to reactivate.
I read an article where they restarted a starter found in King TUT's tomb, pretty cool, it was the oldest starter ever restarted, and they fed it with ancient grain flour that they ground from grain found in another tomb, I love reading stuff like this.

Just made some.

We are in GA right now so this will go back home with me.

bmc.JPG

bmc1.jpg

bmc2.jpg

bmc3.JPG

Just sit the top on.

bmc4.JPG

Update on this starter.

It's day 5. Have not fed this at all. I have stirred it one time daily.

This morning we have activity.

IMG_6063.JPG

Heading back home tonight, this will go into the SD home. Still no feeding.

Got home at 1a. Put this in the sd home.
bh.JPG

Ready to put in a clean jar.
bh1.JPG

Stir it down some.
bh3.jpg

Ready for first feeding since Monday.
75g
bh4.JPG

Smells pretty good like SD.
bh5.JPG

Now back in the sd home, will check in 4 hours.
bh6.JPG

bh7.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky