• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Whole Chicken - Oak or Apple Wood

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xzebra

Fire Starter
Aug 9, 2013
Quick question - I have made many whole chickens in my MES 30 with Apple Wood but was thinking about using Oak for a change.
Any thoughts? What do you normally use? Any other tips?

Thanks again for all you great help....you guys are the best!

Kevin

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Oak will work it will be a heavier smoke taste then the apple but try it everybody has to try different woods and figure out which is best for their tastes.

webowabo

Master of the Pit
Dec 25, 2010
I agreeawith Piney.. from texas and I like a lot of smoke flavor. . Mesquite. . Oak.. Hickory. . But in my opinion. . Chicken takes smoke well
. So split the difference. . Half apple.. halk oak.. ;) best of both worlds ;)

bama bbq

Master of the Pit
Sep 24, 2011
I'm a less is more kinda guy when it comes to smoke flavoring.  I use apple, peach, cherry etc for poultry and pork.  I reserve oak for beef.  I rarely use hickory or mesquite.  ...but hey who am I to say... I recommend you try it and see what you and your family/friends think.  It might be the best you/they ever had.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky