What did I do...besides wanting to curse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
Ok tried to make some beef sticks.
Got the batch all mixed, stuffed in 19mm collagen casings, put in the old smoker and when temp hit 153 pulled from smoker.
Well the casing shrunk from both ends so now there is about an 1 1/2 " of bare meat on each end.
So what the heck did I do wrong? Over stuff the casings or something else?
Kit

Last edited:
I’m no expert but I always start at 130 with no smoke for the first two hours and then raise it 10 degrees an hour until I reach 170. I’ve never had the casing shrink up. I was told you need to start it low with no smoke years ago by someone and that’s to dry the casing slow.

Smoker

<Chuckles> cut them up after you smoke 'em and allow to rest. I have never used collegen, always sheep but I assume they are about the same.

IMG_8253.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

IMG_8266.JPG

I’m no expert but I always start at 130 with no smoke for the first two hours and then raise it 10 degrees an hour until I reach 170. I’ve never had the casing shrink up. I was told you need to start it low with no smoke years ago by someone and that’s to dry the casing slow.

Smoker
Hillbilly well gee might try that next time, though didn't think 150 was high. It only took around 1:45 min to have them reach it of 153.

I’ve never had my collagen cases shrink. Hopefully someone else can give you some More ideas as to why this happened. I’m just not sure.

Well foamheart
I skinned them rascals so know I got case less sticks. Didn't think they would shrink either. Use sheep for my breakfast and almost did the same here, but I had these collagen sitting in the frig so hey decided to try it.

Usually when I do sticks I do it by time and not temp, cause its like bacon you can cook 'em in 10 mins or you can smoke 'em for 2 hours. When you get more comfortable with your stix you should try some with phosphates. They help hold the juices in the meat.

Nothing wrong BTW with skinless. Tell folks you go that extra step above and beyond others to ensure a purer tasting stick......

Hillbilly well gee might try that next time, though didn't think 150 was high. It only took around 1:45 min to have them reach it of 153.

Something not sounding right here ... even at 150` (which they would never get to 153`at this temp) ... it should take a LOT longer than 1:45 ...

initial temp of 150* squeezed the meat and made the outside cooked meat tighten up on the inside raw meat which pushed the meat paste the only way it can go-out the ends. Start low, let the meat come to temp slowly and set and this will not happen.

Jack,

I was thinking the same thing on the temp. Maybe set at that but the smoker was actually higher.

Well next time I will try the lower temp. Also will do a smaller batch. See I have this problem especially it seems like when I am making something for first time. I make too much and when it flops (well at least in my opinion) I have oodles of something that I don't like and because of that really don't want to share with my friends. I mean gee I would like to sort of hang on to them so it ends up in the ole garbage. Gotta learn how to down size on that something new thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky