Weber Performer Newb... Couple questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greggj

Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
New Hampshire
Hey Yall,

Been a while posting for me but, I am a long time lurker and BBQ enthusiast.... :-)

After years with my MES with (AMAZN Pellets) and Weber Genesis EP 310 I finally took the plunge and picked up a Weber Performer Deluxe....

I'm looking forward to experimenting and riding the charcoal learning curve. I have a couple of questions.

How do you get the Grate Temp? I am looking to get some feedback on how to get a feel for airflow and the Dampers and how quickly it adjusts.

Also any mods or upgrades you would recommend.

I am thinking I will buy the weber cast iron griddle insert to get some sears, anyone using this?

Also looking to do some Pizzza's Thinking about asking for a Kettle Pizza kit for fathers day, or is a normal pizza stone ok and safe to use on a grill?

As always thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Weber Performer Deluxe....
Well lets see a picture .

How do you get the Grate Temp?
If I'm doing a long smoke I set it up like this . Snake method with the temp probe on the cold side of the fire . I just need an idea of where it's at .
20190915_175719.jpg

get a feel for airflow and the Dampers and how quickly it adjusts.
Get it fired up and see what it likes . My 26 " reacts pretty quick , and don't take much to change the temp .
My performer likes to run on the hotter side . Even with the bottom closed , but I tend to use more charcoal in it , because I'll do potatoes / corn or some other side on it also .
20190715_175549.jpg

Also any mods or upgrades you would recommend.
If that's the Deluxe it should have came with the charcoal baskets .
If not grab some . Alot of the guys use the Vortex .

I use a regular pizza stone on mine with no trouble . Just heat the grill and stone up together .
If you need to buy something , look at the Lodge cast iron pizza pan . I have one of those also . It works great .

Enjoy . Post up some pics .

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
awesome.... Thanks so much for the info. As always this place is a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate it.

It does have the trays. Is the vortex worth the upgrade? Thinking I'm going to get the griddle first. I love searing some reverse sear steaks on a hot griddle.

As for pics, I am at work, I will post some when I have a minute and it's not dark outside. I have the Copper Genesis Stainless and the Copper Performer Deluxe. They look pretty sharp sitting next to each other on my patio. I can hear them talking to me when I am out there. I told my wife they are a matching his and hers set. Looking forward to a long and bountiful marriage for them. :-)

Definitely excited to have some fun.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to recommend the vortex as well. It is so amazing with chicken. I've never had better tasting more perfectly grilled chicken before in my life. I have been making a batch just about every week. Super easy and pretty much foolproof if you use an instant read thermometer after 30 minutes. Adjust time to the current temp. Most of the time my chicken is around 180 in 40 minutes or so. I haven't purchased one yet but I think that a beer can chicken stand will be a great add on. I did my first whole chicken lying flat between the charcoal baskets. It came out great but I think that the vertical position may be even better. I know I am going to get one of these to try very soon. Congrats on the new grill. I am going to say that I believe you made the right choice and will most likely not ever be disappointed in your choice of grills.

G

I'm definitely going to recommend the vortex as well. It is so amazing with chicken. I've never had better tasting more perfectly grilled chicken before in my life. I have been making a batch just about every week. Super easy and pretty much foolproof if you use an instant read thermometer after 30 minutes. Adjust time to the current temp. Most of the time my chicken is around 180 in 40 minutes or so. I haven't purchased one yet but I think that a beer can chicken stand will be a great add on. I did my first whole chicken lying flat between the charcoal baskets. It came out great but I think that the vertical position may be even better. I know I am going to get one of these to try very soon. Congrats on the new grill. I am going to say that I believe you made the right choice and will most likely not ever be disappointed in your choice of grills.

G

Thanks G,

Thanks for the info on the Vortex. I might have to bump that up on my list. :-) My wife loves grilled chicken. I think that may be on the menu this weekend. If I have the time I'll be sure to post pictures.

Thanks G,

Thanks for the info on the Vortex. I might have to bump that up on my list. :-) My wife loves grilled chicken. I think that may be on the menu this weekend. If I have the time I'll be sure to post pictures.
Full disclaimer, I use one of the generic brands of the vortex. Mine was $18 and change instead of $45 plus. It works the same though. I've used it over a dozen times now and no trouble at all. My wife never liked grilled chicken in her life. She is averse to the charring and when it is blacked on the outside but still kind of raw inside that is what put her off for so long. One bite from a vortex style chicken leg cured her of that though. She now asks "me" to grill chicken. So I call that a win all the way. It worked well with the wide side up under my last pork butt as well. A foil pie tin fits right in there and doubles for a heat deflector and drip pan. Great value for this little thing.

G

My performer will be the last grill to leave my house, best cooking equipment I have ever owned and have had a lot over the years. I'm sure you will love yours also, bought the son 1 just like yours for Christmas 2 years ago.

Reactions: chopsaw
Reading all your suggestions, I got excited and went down an internet wormhole researching the vortex. I gave in and ordered one last night via amazon, it will be here in time to use this weekend. Looks like it won't take me long to accessorize this beauty.... Up Next The Cast Iron Griddle, Pizza set up and I need to update my wireless thermometer. Here we go... :-)

Pizza stone? I have both a ceramic stone and a cast iron stone for my pizza attachment. I only use the ceramic stone in the house oven, the cast iron stone in the Kettle. The thermal shock is much higher in the Kettle than the oven. Thermal shock = cracked stone. It may not happen right away, but it will happen. Not with cast iron, though.

Vent settings? Top full open, ash rake bottom openings like 1/16" inch for 225-250F. You can play with it to see how yours works. I marked the ash catcher receptical with a magic marker for various openings.

The charcoal you use will make a difference in performance. The best cheap and dense charcoal briquettes are Royal Oak Ridge, or any of the Ridge store brands. Less dense cheap briquettes, aka Kingsford, are fine for grilling and shorter smokes. Anything lump is great for hotter smokes or grilling.

My essentials are gloves, chimneys (large and small), charcoal baskets, Vortex, instant read therm, and a 15" paella pan for frying. I HATE the smell of frying oil in the house, but outside, no problem. The 15" paella pan gives more room than a 12" fry pan. I use the pans for all kinds of stuff, even pizza.

Enjoy your Kettle!

Ray

I will monitor this post right along with you. I bought my Performer about the same time. I have been a pellet guy but wanted to try my first kettle. So many of my friends who are in to grilling/smoking, etc. raved about it.

I also had to have the Kettle pizza. I have it (delivered yesterday). Just waiting on a pizza peel. Super excited to use it.

I have used my performer to do slower cooks on pork loins, chicken breasts and burgers. Used my RecTec today for my ribs. Fingers crossed Amazon delivery shows up tomorrow and we can fire it up for pizza.

I have not mastered managing temps! So, anxious to see what people share here! Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky