Walleye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
I have been given 2.5 lbs of fresh walleye fillets. I've been thinking of dry curing a fillet like do salmon? Is this possible or will I just ruin a good fillet that I should of fried.

Reactions: JLeonard
Fry or bake
I plan on frying some for a supper meal but I am considering cold smoking a fillet similar salmon. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried salt curing and cold smoking pike. I have friend that pickles it, but I'm not a dig fan of pickled fish.

Reactions: JLeonard
Can't help you with your question but we love walleye so I'll follow along.

Ryan

I plan on frying some for a supper meal but I am considering cold smoking a fillet similar salmon. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried salt curing and cold smoking pike. I have friend that pickles it, but I'm not a dig fan of pickled fish.
I personally think you’d be ruining an excellent fish by trying this. With such a delicate flavor and low fat I don’t see good results. Perhaps I’m wrong 🤔 and someone else here will share good results. As far as pickling, my brother pickles northern pike but certainly not walleye.
Enjoy!

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
I agree with WaterRat WaterRat . I lived in Minnesota for several years and had the opportunity to fish for, and eat, quite a bit of walleye. I stuffed and baked a big one once, but otherwise I always fried them. I can't imagine what a smoked walleye would taste like, but I suspect it would not be good.

I have smoked walleye before. Its not bad but it dries out if not careful. Earlier post under search forum.

I have been given 2.5 lbs of fresh walleye fillets. I've been thinking of dry curing a fillet like do salmon? Is this possible or will I just ruin a good fillet that I should of fried.
I’m think it would taste great dry cured… I was recently looking into dry curing or at least drying after cold smoking some trout and as long as it not over slates I don’t see why it would be good… I read on a post a guy recommend to shoot for 18-20% water loss so I would try that after curing with salt sugar and cure 1

I smoked a Northern Pike years ago. Was not pleased with taste or texture. I only tried it once, so I don't know if it was my fault or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky