Nova Lox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DEERMAKER

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2024
NORTHEASTERN PA
Been picking away at salmon in freezer
Went to alaska over summer and hit it right
Once in lifetime trip that I was blessed with to opportunity with 3 great friends
Caught too many sockeye to count and we took home 400 pounds fillets. Should have brought double lol
Red color flesh from the krill diet. Unreal. Anyway short story.
Contact me for long one it was awesome!
Back to the tasty rewards
Thanks to thirdeye thirdeye for the help and recipe. Ive had great sucess with the lox and nova lox. Simple but detailed idea and formulation. Its spot on.
The texture and salt just right. You can hold a half fillet and it wont sag but cuts like soft butter! Tossed in couple pics of the fish so you can see why ill be doing lots of fish lol

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 71228375468__4B062EAB-44F3-46B9-9BD2-BA7158185C18.jpeg
    71228375468__4B062EAB-44F3-46B9-9BD2-BA7158185C18.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3171.jpeg
    IMG_3171.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3169.jpeg
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 71228375468__4B062EAB-44F3-46B9-9BD2-BA7158185C18.jpeg
    71228375468__4B062EAB-44F3-46B9-9BD2-BA7158185C18.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3169.jpeg
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3171.jpeg
    IMG_3171.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4370.jpeg
    IMG_4370.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 34
Once in lifetime trip that I was blessed with to opportunity with 3 great friends
Caught too many sockeye to count and we took home 400 pounds fillets. Should have brought double lol
Thanks to thirdeye thirdeye for the help and recipe. Ive had great sucess with the lox and nova lox. Simple but detailed idea and formulation. Its spot on.
The texture and salt just right. You can hold a half fillet and it wont sag but cuts like soft butter! Tossed in couple pics of the fish so you can see why ill be doing lots of fish lol
Ah man that is too cool!

It is one of my fantasies to do an Alaskan trip and bring back a ton of Salmon like that!!!
Any tips on how to effectively do so? I'm in TX so I figure I would have to road trip back the amount of salmon you are talking about that you guys caught. 800 pounds would be amazing!

Ah man that is too cool!

It is one of my fantasies to do an Alaskan trip and bring back a ton of Salmon like that!!!
Any tips on how to effectively do so? I'm in TX so I figure I would have to road trip back the amount of salmon you are talking about that you guys caught. 800 pounds would be amazing!

I can help anyone out with what i learned in the research and the actual trip. Its tricky but if you hit it right there is no place like it. The quality of the fish is amazing. I didnt want to make this thread about fishing on a smoker forum so I suggest a pm then maybe can call ya so much info lol. But no problem. I could make this thread miles long. But to answer question road trip not needed. They ship as reg luggage we used our check bags , 50 lbs and size limit, but depending on airline and and seat class you can do bigger and heavier than our size lol. Whole airport full with people and coolers. Lol. Lots info on this See pic. Reg stuff there Its crazy. Pm me anyone if need info lol. Take care.

Attachments

• IMG_3366.jpeg
    IMG_3366.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3517.jpeg
    IMG_3517.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 30
I can help anyone out with what i learned in the research and the actual trip. Its tricky but if you hit it right there is no place like it. The quality of the fish is amazing. I didnt want to make this thread about fishing on a smoker forum so I suggest a pm then maybe can call ya so much info lol. But no problem. I could make this thread miles long. But to answer question road trip not needed. They ship as reg luggage we used our check bags , 50 lbs and size limit, but depending on airline and and seat class you can do bigger and heavier than our size lol. Whole airport full with people and coolers. Lol. Lots info on this See pic. Reg stuff there Its crazy. Pm me anyone if need info lol. Take care.
Sounds like an amazing trip. We like fishing and hunting stories as well as travel stories so this is a big GO. The other thing we really like is pictures, you have that part down, and those are some great pictures. I hope you share more about that Alaska trip.

Yeah
Great catch!!
Yeah It was crazy I slept 4 hrs a day daylight the rest, so I fished on the Kenai in front of the cabin
Some days I think I'm still sore Lol
If I kept all I caught, I would need 3 more freezers lol Not counting the Halibut trip lol My preference in taste is the Sockeye though
Once in lifetime so I slept when I got home haha

Reactions: tallbm
Sorry here I go on a rant lol Apologies
...back to smoking meats lol
You are good to go posting as much info as you'd like to share in the General or Blowing Smoke forum. Lots of folks here that enjoy fishing, self included. Honestly can't imagine anyone would have issues with details on a trip right in the Fish forum either.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for the info! As you can see I've done no research into it so all of this info is good to go. Should I really start thinking and trying to make it happen I at least have a couple of ideas on what is going on.

Also, no need to apologize in your own thread about your fish. You caught em and cooked em. The whole story is relevant AND as others have stated we love hearing about this stuff.
Hell, every year I do my wild game meat hunt I post about the hunt, with pictures, and post the food I make from it. This year I am still slacking on making the food from it because I actually did it over a weekend and took no work time off instead of taking 2 weeks off.

I opted to have a trusted game processer just grind it all up for me and now I have a freezer full (too full) of meat to turn into sausage and such. I was just working down my freezer space so I can buy about 10 pounds of pork back fat and have room for the sausage I was going to make with it. That is how full my freezer is with game meat that I needed to make room to even be able to get the fat and hold it in the freezer lol.

Sounds like an amazing trip. We like fishing and hunting stories as well as travel stories so this is a big GO. The other thing we really like is pictures, you have that part down, and those are some great pictures. I hope you share more about that Alaska trip.
will do

Thanks for the info! As you can see I've done no research into it so all of this info is good to go. Should I really start thinking and trying to make it happen I at least have a couple of ideas on what is going on.

Also, no need to apologize in your own thread about your fish. You caught em and cooked em. The whole story is relevant AND as others have stated we love hearing about this stuff.
Hell, every year I do my wild game meat hunt I post about the hunt, with pictures, and post the food I make from it. This year I am still slacking on making the food from it because I actually did it over a weekend and took no work time off instead of taking 2 weeks off.

I opted to have a trusted game processer just grind it all up for me and now I have a freezer full (too full) of meat to turn into sausage and such. I was just working down my freezer space so I can buy about 10 pounds of pork back fat and have room for the sausage I was going to make with it. That is how full my freezer is with game meat that I needed to make room to even be able to get the fat and hold it in the freezer lol.
awesome problem

Reactions: tallbm
If you want to share all your information here, go right ahead! I'm sure many would enjoy it!
Love your pics you posted!

Ryan
The Sockeye are by far the most fun fish to fight and catch, campared only to fall run Steelhead.
IMHO
I am very vested in steelhead and everytime I fought a Sockeye it reminded me of fresh steelhead!
The amount of sockeye that come into the Kenai is just remarkable one day we had 191,000 come by the fish counters! I did type it correctly LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Would kill to take a trip
Like that and come back with 400lb of salmon home!!

You get some of these guys into a trip like this and you might become enabler # 1! :emoji_blush: Not sure if he's seen this thread but SmokinAl SmokinAl Is the first person I remember seeing him make lox.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky