Venison Pepperoni Question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

R Blum

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
I am making 5 lbs of venison pepperoni and the recipe calls for 1 cup dry milk powder. Can I use regular milk or fermento? How much? I made this before but I don't remember what I used. Guess I should update my journal. Thanks in advance.

I am making 5 lbs of venison pepperoni and the recipe calls for 1 cup dry milk powder. Can I use regular milk or fermento? How much? I made this before but I don't remember what I used. Guess I should update my journal. Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome!

The Non Fat Dry Milk (NFDM) is used as a binder and cannot be replaced by regular milk.
Fermento is not a binder but something to aid in the fermentation process of semi-dry cured proeducts, so I would not try to replace NFDM with Fermento either.

Again the NFDM is meant for binding and moisture retention. You could use other binders like Soy Protein (Isolate or Concentrate), Carrot binder, etc. etc.

You need a binder so don't substitute with anything but another binder AND only use as much as that particular binder specifies to use. Different types of binders are added in different amounts.

I hope this info helps :)

Here is some info for you on different binders & flavor enhancers

These measurments are for 5lbs of meat.
Powdered milk. AKA: NFPDM. 1.25oz
Rice flour. 1.25oz
Soybean powder. 1.20oz
Binding flour.1.50oz
Whey powder. 1.25oz
Corn syrup solids (not cane sugar) 1.40oz
Corn syrup. AKA Karo syrup. 1.60
Gelatin. 0.50oz
Fat. 16oz or 20%. Using more would be for flavor.

Flavor enhancers.
Again for 5lbs of meat.

Buttermilk powder. AKA Fermento or Sako. 0.40oz
Dry milk powder. 0.40oz
Whey powder. 0.40oz
MSG. 0.25oz
Ames Phos. 0.25oz....Also used for moisture retention. Read instructions before adding this.
Salt. 2 T...Remember table salt will measure different than kosher and diamond krystal kosher.
Citric Acid (powdered. not ECA) 0.40. CAUTION: If you use too much your mix will get mushy.
ECA. 1.80oz
Water. 4.0oz
Apple sauce. 4.0oz. This will add moisture, slight bind and some sweetness.

Cures.
Cure #1
1 level tsp per every 5lbs of meat
MTQ. 7.5 tsp

NOTE: Binders are not always needed but your choice.

What recipe are you making? I made one you posted last year and even made a reduced pepper vesion and neither my wife or daughter would eat either one. Every man liked it though. ;)

What recipe are you making? I made one you posted last year and even made a reduced pepper vesion and neither my wife or daughter would eat either one. Every man liked it though. ;)
I was trying a different recipe but have decided to go back to the old version. I personally love the recipe you have. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky