Using someone's Oklahoma Joe offset smoker next weeked - question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I will be using a new-to-me Oklahoma Joe offset smoker next weekend to smoke a couple of Boston Butts. There is ice-cold beer and a pool 2 blocks away and I don't want to baby-sit the smoker any more than necessary...I am not sure of the exact model because the person who owns is doesn't know exactly what he has.

How often will I need to check the smoker temp?

You will not be able to enjoy the pool much but you could sure enjoy the beer. You will most likely need to feed the beast about once an hour. If your friend has a charcoal basket you might be able to dip your toes.

George

Yeah. A stick burner requires baby sitting.. but isn’t the what’s it all about?
Yep that's why I'm looking for an elec to compliment the stick burner. 4 or more hours with the hickory and apple sticks. Then into a preheated electric with a anmps lit and able to relax some. Bought time for guests to arrive and back to the stick burner talking about all the hard work

The smoker was under a tarp and had not been used for at least 3 years...once I got the spiders burned out of it we loaded up burgers, brats, and cheddar dogs for 16 people.

Figured out the hot spot is by the fire box...of course.

It held temp very well. I wish I had some pre cut splits...but chips worked.

We liked it enough we will probably buy one for our farm...old school smoker

Attachments

• C753FC76-5359-46A7-BAB5-5B4B0625C17A.jpeg
    C753FC76-5359-46A7-BAB5-5B4B0625C17A.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 02F076B5-8028-47B9-8349-A28862E6D7FB.jpeg
    02F076B5-8028-47B9-8349-A28862E6D7FB.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 37
The smoker was under a tarp and had not been used for at least 3 years...once I got the spiders burned out of it we loaded up burgers, brats, and cheddar dogs for 16 people.

Figured out the hot spot is by the fire box...of course.

It held temp very well.

We liked it enough we will probably buy one for our farm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky